Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Cost of Opportunity, The Terrible Risk of Stealing Your Own Hopes

Occasionally I dream of winning the lottery. When the jackpot gets big I plunk down one or two dollars on a ticket, and I think the main reason I do, the main thing I'm buying, is the opportunity to dream for a day or two, to muse and wonder on the life that might be. The dreams are both distracting and instructive, a mental vacation, a seminar on what you really want.

What I dream of is not fabulous riches and an oversized house and fancy cars, although those pass throught the picture. The chief appeal is time. A lottery winner, or at least the lottery winner I become in my head, is with one oversized check given back the precious store of 24 hours in every day for the rest of his life. Life suddenly is no longer dominated by drudgery and petty obligation.

I wouldn't have to put on the headset and get abused and bombarded by people's petty troubles, the litany of their enormous irritation at having to press two buttons instead of one, their outrage at missing Dancing With the Stars. I like a little TV as much as the next guy, but I can't help but thinking they'd be better off dancing with their wives, or gazing at the stars, or reaching for them, rather than being nasty and rude to me because I had the misfortune of being on the other end of the line when the dreaded beep sounded, the tone that haunts the dreamless space between closing my eyes and losing consciousness.

I get frantic, my fists clench for a second, if I think about that beep and the control it holds over my life. It is an audible lash of slavery. I wear a headset but I might as well be chained to the desk. For forty precious hours a week I'm in a misery of triviality and whiny indignation, over what? The right to stuff your minds with nothing and line the pockets of the stockholders of the Global Communications Giant with ill-gotten cash. There is no way the monthly cable phone and internet bill should be $300, for anyone, but for hundreds of thousands of people it is. There is no way Ray Ramano should make twenty million a year for telling jokes, but he does. We're that desperate to be distracted.

There's an opportunity cost to everything we choose to do. There are fishermen who are poets, but even they must realize the more time they spend tying flies, the less fish they'll catch and the more poems will pop into their heads, but the fewer hours they'll spend writing them down. The dream of winning the lottery isn't wallowing in the pile of money; it's wallowing in the priceless luxury of having enough time to take care of the body and mind, to sleep until you're ready to be awake and exercise until the body is rejuvenated and read until the mind is inspired, to be free of punching the clock, to live the Johnny Paycheck classic, "Take this job and shove it, I ain't workin' here no more."

I live in dread of being discovered for the malcontent I am. It takes an enormous energy to hold in check my growing discontent. My wanderlust is at war with my sense of responsibility. I need to earn a living. Everyone does. But why does it have to make us so miserable? Why do I have to average 10.85 calls per hour and achieve 2% new product sales and maintain a CQE rating of 94 while keeping the occurences below 5.0 a year? I'm supposed to care about the customers. Deep down I'm a fundamentally courteous person, so I do. But who cares about me? How do I escape the dread I feel climbing those stairs to the third floor? When I get to the top of them I've only climbed high enough to reach another round of emailed memos and motivational pep talks, of glitches and fixes and oppressive reminders and error codes and points to remember.

The biggest part of the problem of me is not the working hours, it's the time that's left to me. No matter how rich or poor we are, we have the same store of 24 hours, and we can spend it sleeping or dreaming or stuffing our faces. I can play poker or go to the gym or take a nap. I can read the Duck blog or research a new novel. Most of the time I don't do much of anything, and the years mount while I fall asleep. I have a lottery ticket in my wallet but I don't want to check the numbers yet. I'd like to keep the dream alive for another day.

There's a new movie out which I've heard about but haven't seen called Food, Inc., about the dangers of our highly processed and manufactured food supply, the ways it is literally making us sick. The movie has an agenda and a pronounced political viewpoint, and I'm not sure if it's still in theaters or available now for rental or on DVD. Draw your own conclusions about its content, but it illustrates an essential principle at the heart of our lives:

We become what we think about, we are what we take in, the inevitable product of our lives is the habits we practice and the choices we make, whether they are made consciously or not. No matter where we are, we didn't get there by accident, and nothing changes until we change our thinking.


That's the exciting part. I could wake up tomorrow and find I won the lottery. Or I could wake up this afternoon and make a choice that unravels all the rest of them, that sets in motion the life and the hopes I really want to realize. I need to find the courage within myself to live my passion. I need to find the courage to be truly passionate. Somewhere in all of us is the power to discard our complacency and lazy assumption, to consider the cost of what we're doing and failing to do. We have to stop stealing our own hopes. We have to discover what we knew all along.

In Remember the Titans, Coach Boone is blowing his whistle while the neat rows of players in their practice whites are doing up-downs in the summer heat. "We're going to change the way we eat, We're going to change the way we block." He's a fierce taskmaster. Every detail will be right. Every choice will be for a purpose. The Titans will play with one heart and for one goal. The Titans went undefeated. They left everything on the field. They didn't let racism or ignorance stand in their way. Every one of them accomplished more than they thought they could. They changed the way they ate. They made a future greater than anyone forecast for them. They are remembered, and their story still inspires greatness.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Dad--

Enjoyed the blog today. The Titans is one of my very favorite movies!! I very rarely buy lottery tickets, I don't like them. But Grammy and Grandpa were once big fans. I don't know if they still do though. I actually liked my job for the most part, back of course when I worked "for real." The child support office was always really stressful, we had quotas we were supposed to meet too, and I got yelled at from both sides of every case, it was no fun and yet I still liked my job. Of course the job I have now totally rocks, and the benefits are pretty good too. Ebear never ceases to amaze me. Tom called this morning and Ethan was over playing with his toys, we hadn't yet really started our day, no breakfast or cartoons yet. When the phone rang Ethan threw his toys jumped up and yelled "Dad." Some morning some other person is going to make that phone ring and boy will they be in trouble. Ethan took the call first and answered with "hi dad," I could hear Tom laughing on the other end of the line. It's pretty funny to watch them talk. Ethan will tell him stories about stuff that's going on here, and he'll always run off to go get whatever toy he's talking about so Dad can "see it." Tom plays along quite well now. He's getting really busy over there and said he wouldn't be able to call as often I'll have to try to find a way to explain it to the little man. But we have enough DVD's to keep us busy. Tom sends us some every now and then from Kandahar. Pretty boring place by the looks of things!! Well off to make more blankies for the various kids in my life. Hope that work gets better, just don't quit the economy can't take it.

Steph

Stephanie said...

Dad --

Just want to point out that we are on day 25 in April and we only have 7 blog postings......just saying'. If I can send a silly letter to Tom everyday he's in Afghanistan you can at least post me a little something every other day.

Me

Dale Bliss said...

Steff--

What a really lovely glimpse of your life. Ethan is an amazing little person. I love that you take such joy in him every day.

Love,

Dad

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.