Saturday, December 30, 2017

A landslide of the heart

I woke up around 9:30, called a couple of my favorite people, my best friend Eileen and my brother Frank, then straightened up my ridiculously messy room. I discarded the embarrassing collection of papers, old mail and wrappers, took wine glasses to the sink and washed them, folded the clothes and put them away. I unpacked from my Christmas trip. I feel lighter and more whole. I still haven't made the bed.

It took till 11:30 to finish the chores. By then I was massively hungry. In the kitchen I found two slabs of sourdough bread, cut off a half-inch slice of ham and four pieces of swiss cheese with some mustard and assembled a sandwich. I'm a big boy. I like to eat.

I took the sandwich to my desk and lit a candle. It's mealtime, and a candle invites the sacred. A person should never eat alone so I opened the blog to write a post. You are my company today, and I treasure that.



There's something about the combination of a long trip, calling special people, doing chores and eating a massive ham sandwich that makes you reflective. I particularly like this song and this version of it, "Landslide," performed by the Dixie Chicks in a live performance somewhere in Europe (Sweden, maybe? Not sure about that part.)

The song touches me and stays with me these days, for a variety of reasons. The beautiful clear voices. The crush-worthy lead singer. The tender strains of the mandolin. And of course the lyrics and their message:

Well, I've been afraid of changin'
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Even children get older
And I'm getting older, too

We all have songs that become touchstones, windows into our hopes and soul. It's magical how music can do that, lift us to the best part of ourselves, express our sadness, longing, meaning and need better than we can ever hope to. This song plays in my Pandora nearly every day.

I was singing the chorus in my halting tenor as I did my chores, feeling a tremendous comfort.

I AM getting older, but getting bolder is a choice, I believe. A lot of people face their advancing generations and become more careful, which I think that is a tragic, disastrous, calcifying mistake. My grandpa was a vigorous man who built his own house with his own hands at 63. He got a little help with the plumbing and wiring, but structure and the carpentry were all his. Then he retired and sat in a chair. He got Alzeimer's. By the end of his life he couldn't recognize his wife of 60-plus years.

Getting older makes me think of the journeys I could take, the choices I might make and the direction they could start me toward in my life. It's exhilarating to see possibilities instead of sameness.

A list in forming in my head, and this is the first time I've sat down to put it to paper, albeit between bites of enormous, delicious ham sandwich.

These are choices I could make, some of them mutually exclusive. All of them will alter my path in marvelous ways, while certainly a few wouldn't turn out at all. It's wonderful to feel at 62 there are adventures to be had, that I can grow and learn and discover and make changes. I can pay more attention to the road I travel, the souls I touch along the way. Robert Frost said, "But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Frost's poems have been cited and recited so much that the metaphors have been worn out by less subtler minds, leaving a road with potholes and a crumbling stone fence at its edges. In "Stopping by the woods on a snowy evening" and "The Road Not Taken" he talks both about how one path closes another and the subtle seductions of merely giving up, letting yourself sleep, lulled by the rhythm of the bells on the harness as the snows fall.

Sorry for the mock profundity. Just trying to learn to write pretty. This is my list so far, with items that are both little and big in their scope:

Learn to play guitar (that's on everyone's list, I think. It'd be nice to play a song or three, sing them one day with my granddaughter,)

Join a writer's group.

Take a cross country trip. Read the historical plaques. Hike the Grand Canyon. Stop for pie. Flirt with the waitress. Attend college football in various towns and write a blog about it.

Own a place of my own, my own apartment, a 600-square-foot trailer, something. I've always wanted an office and a study, three bookcases, a good chair and reading lamp, a cherry wood desk like the one I had before the last time I was homeless. (Another story, preceded by bad choices.)

Get a job at Eastern Washington University, something simple, be a janitor or academic advisor or part of the landscape crew, attend classes one or two a quarter. It's close enough to my grandkids I could go to soccer games, far enough away that I wouldn't intrude on their family,

As an exercise, write a novel about Cullen Bohannon's journey East.

Open a bookstore, a coffee shop or a brew pub. I'd want it to be a shoestring business where the chief purpose was to have a pot of coffee on and talk to people. I had the thought earlier this week that a sense of community is disappearing from our lives, that no one is really good at it anymore except women, who seem to make and keep strong friendships in their lives that make a difference. Eileen is a whiz at it, whole communities of women in her life that support each other and have rich, healing, joyous conversations. I'd like to be a part of a place that fosters that for myself and other people, a church without a collection place or a ponderous pastor. Main street is gone in America, killed by Amazon, Walmart and the invention of the smart phone. All we have left is Facebook, a sad substitute.

The trouble with working in a bar or convenience store is that you are surrounded by smokers and drunks while you're not drinking.

Continue working at the bakery and save money for my retirement.

Get an online degree in counseling and establish a practice in a small town.  Base the therapy on the principles of Carl Adler, "warm, positive, acceptant."

Buy a motorcycle, learn to ride and maintain the bike. I am a ridiculous shell of what a man should be--I can't fix anything. I'd like to learn from the ground up. It'd be my Walden. I'm sure it would be good for me as long as I didn't hit a tree.

Take a long motorcycle trip with my brothers, although they are complete clowns and would probably steer me into a tree trying to keep up with them.

A risk I'm willing to take, because I'd much rather die with boots and helmet on than in a chair.

"Mary Jane's Last Dance" is on now, so I think I'll get up and dance. Gotta work off this ham sandwich.

I have been bruised by the roads I've taken, and I have been shaped by them. I don't regret any of my travels, even the ones I found painful and costly. I realize I have to choose carefully from this point forward. I only have time for a few more journeys and the miles are precious.


No comments:

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.