Saturday, November 22, 2008

Headed for the Danger Zone of Total Sloth

Friday night, the night lovers canoodle and old men hoist a pint, and all I did is play internet chess in my room. There's a pile of clean laundry in the thinking and reading chair and a pile of dirty laundry in the closet. The bed is unmade, and I stayed up way late and slept till 11:39. I haven't worked out since Monday. If I don't snap out of it soon my body is going to calcify or turn to suet and my brain will turn to mush.

I get like this sometimes, in the grey grip of the Oregon winter, and sometimes it takes a Roy Scheider "All That Jazz" pep talk in the mirror to get going. "It's showtime!" Sometimes you have to tilt your head back and squeeze some drops into your bleary minds' eye. Or slap yourself like Cher slapped Nicholas Cage in "Moonstruck": "Snap out of it!"

When I finish this entry I'm going to get in motion. I'll fold the laundry and start another load. I'll walk to the bank and deposit my poker check, and then to the gym, have a good workout, a long hot shower and a shave, put on clean clothes. I'll straighten up the room and vacuum, clean the bathroom and sweep the entryway. I'll get on the internet and pay my Best Buy bill and phone and car insurance, and I swear I won't play any more internet chess. The worst part I was playing badly, in a fog of unforced errors and rudimentary blunders. I'd start out with a solid position and then just fail to see a trap or a untenable move, and lose to a gloating idiot with an anonymous nickname from some remote corner of cyberspace. I should have canoodled or hoisted a pint; I would have been so much farther ahead. I've never made poorer use of a week of evenings. I've never been more disconnected from the world. But my goodness, it's my own fault.

On Monday I cashed out of the poker game because I was running out of food and fishsticks, having planned even less well than usual, and consequently I had less to do in this empty room. Tonight Marie are going on a date, and that will get me in motion, help me throw off this self-absorbed useless funk. I have to be careful: I'm a creature of habit, and this is just about the worst habit of all, doing nothing and going nowhere. Snap out of it, Dale. It's Showtime! Your life is calling, and if you don't answer soon, the phone won't ring at all.

----------------------------------------------

Weekend Update: 10:28 p.m.

What a much better day it turned out to be. I folded the laundry and did two more loads, straightened up the room and went to the gym. I leg pressed and bench pressed and did 250 crunches, 35 pushups and 15 dips. I rowed and did pulldowns and rode the elliptical, read an US Weekly and the Saturday paper, hamstring curled and calf extended, and walked there and back. Had two Italian ices and a chocolate milk and some nuts for lunch, came home and paid the Best Buy bill, and the cell phone. I'll pay the insurance on Monday, and I had enough left to buy in to the poker site for $60, and I won $76 in the $3 rebuy, finishing 116th out of 4500 players. Busted out with a pair of nines, an ace-queen and a pair of aces behind me. Shortstacked with four and half times the blind, it was time to try and get lucky. I churned along as long as I could. Still, $76 was not a bad night for the first night back.

I followed along with the Beaver game as I played, watching the play chart on ESPN game cast. You don't see the actual plays or players, just the results of each play on a drive chart, the football equivalent of a stock ticker. The Beavers came from behind to win with a field goal on the last play of the game, and now the Civil War will be for the Rose or Holiday Bowl as well as state bragging rights. I hope the Ducks play well and win, or Stephanie will make my life miserable for another year.

Marie had to cancel our date. She said she wasn't feeling well and had to drive Austin to her Winter Formal. She may come over tomorrow.

There's another Italian ice in the freezer. I'll think I'll have that for dessert and go to bed. I'll sleep a lot better knowing I had a productive day.

No comments:

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.