Wednesday, January 10, 2018

It's good to be moved to awe and wonder

When my daughter was about 10 she tried out for summer softball at a schoolyard near where she lived with her mother and stepfather in Southeast Portland.

It was a sunny day in April, the field soft from a rain shower. I sat in the stands with her Grandpa Jerry along the first base side, watching the girls go through playing catch, some infield drills and a turn at the plate. Jerry, a congenial man with a shock of wheat-colored hair that curled on his forehead in a way that made him look permanently boyish, chatted with me amiably about sports and goings-on at his bar, a beer-and-shot joint he owned at 52nd and Foster.

I'd been a poor father and a worse husband in my four tries, but Jerry, a fundamentally nice man, greeted me with warmth anyway, true to his nature, a cheerful guy whose life was run by three generations of dominating women yet he had the good sense to go with the flow of it. His strong-willed wife was sensual and smart, so why not?

Part of the heartbreak of a series of failed marriages is that you lose the families you once attached to, the closest thing to normal love and acceptance I'd ever known in my life. Wreckage, everywhere wreckage. And my sweet, resilient daughter had been the first injury in my long march to becoming a whole man.

At ten Stephanie was bright and wise-cracking, very much like her mother and grandmother in her speech cadences and humor. She had hazel eyes and dark hair, skinny, all legs, a quick bright smile. Despite her mother being a college tennis player and me playing sports actively throughout high school and all the way into my 40s, she had no athletic ability at all.

Stephanie took her turn at the plate batting left-handed  and the outfielders instinctively moved in. She was smaller, only 5-5 as a full grown woman even now. Her stance was all stiff knees and pointed elbows.

She whiffed at the first pitch, and the next and the next. A couple of her friends shouted out sweet, pleading encouragement. One of the volunteer coaches sidled up to her to adjust her hands and shoulders, but she still couldn't make contact. Finally the man held the bat with her and she managed a slow grounder to second.

I cried. I had to step away from the bleachers and turn my back to the small collection of parents and grandparents and started heaving dry, choked-back tears. I cried, maybe for the first time in my adult life and certainly the most significant time, not because I was disappointed in Stephanie but because I was so moved by the sight of her, trying, sweetly, to do something she simply couldn't do. She was ten by then and had little background in sports. I hadn't been around to play catch with her or teach her how to hold the bat. Most of the other girls had been playing since they were six. It was too big a gulf in skill level, particularly for a child without much natural ability.

Hitting or not hitting wasn't the point in that moment. I cried because I was so PROUD of her, at her courage, at her willingness to face that situation and still smile and try so bravely. I didn't care that she couldn't hit. She was my little girl. I wanted to march up to home plate and get on my knees and hug her, tell her it didn't matter. I cried because it was so beautiful watching her, being amazed at her strength, her independence, her remarkable energy and spirit.  I called out something encouraging but I don't remember what it was.

What I do remember was being awed by the moment, by the bigness of her heart and spirit, how we have these feelings and moments and they are overwhelming but our soul doesn't have the words to express them. The little that we do, is it enough? I came to the tryout, but I'd missed so many other things. I was filled with humility at the fragile beauty of watching her fail and still be completely herself, still just as beautiful and smart and funny and gloriously herself as she was before she struck out five times. For a long time my life revolved around being good at sports and throwing all my energy into them, and at that field I didn't care about sports at all.

It's good to be moved to awe and wonder, to be carried away with humility at the power of emotions or the grand sweep of your surroundings. We can reach the same level of prayerfulness of spirit with a trip to the ocean, the Grand Canyon or the Columbia Gorge. Or in watching a child play "Silent Night" from a window as Christmas lights dance on the snow. Be moved to tears. And tell someone why you cry at the memory of them in a vulnerable, poignant moment. Soon, for one day your tear ducts will close forever.

No comments:

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.