Wednesday, June 11, 2008

There are few greater pleasures than sharing a bottle of wine with a good friend

We had a meeting after work, and all of us had to stay and watch a film on all the ways to magically lift our J.D. Power ratings. The film ended with a little boy catching a fly ball, after two of our employees had rescued his Grandpa's mitt from the conveyor at the material recovery center, a catch you could see coming from the second scene. Agonizing and a thorough waste of time. Sometimes I'm afraid the blog is that way, hackneyed and falsely inspirational. It can happen when you lead from your heart.

Sometimes at work I feel like Peter from "Office Space": "I don't really like my job; I don't think I'm going to go." In the last year our breaks have been shortened from 15 minutes to 10, our lunches from an hour to 45 minutes, floor support and the flex scheduling CAP plan were eliminated, our health plan was cut back, we get a daily email about the length of our trips to the bathroom and they've added 115 new policies and 29 rules and 50 terse emails about our errors and unnecessary aftercall. The exact numbers do not matter. The point is I feel wired up and measured like an astronaut, and all the false economies and pressurized urgencies get in the way of actually helping the customer and being ready to receive their concerns with genuine concern of our own. What if a company really measured productivity by the number of problems solved, the number of customers truly satisfied, instead of call volume and average speed of answer? I'm not a bad employee; I've won two national customer service awards and an employee of the month in my first year, but the pressure to behave in a certain way and stick to a certain script just takes years off my life sometimes: I can feel my heart and head start to constrict just thinking about it.

I hope this is the last work rant I ever do, and just this one could get me fired if it falls into the wrong hands. I love my boss, she's the most human and supportive boss I've ever had; I love my coworkers and all their little zaniness and complaints. We get ourselves through the day with wisecracks and shared Happy Panda, but we spend our workday in a verbal toxic waste dump, 90 people a day snarling at us about a can of trash or the size of their bill or getting the red one instead of the green one. I don't mind helping them in fact I enjoy it, but why do so many of them lead with anger and nastiness and the desire to make the random human being who happens to answer the phone suffer before allowing me one breath to ask politely how I can help. I understand it, I do, and I try to make the best of it every day, to retreat to my car and turn on the good jazz and heal my heart a little--I just wish the minute-by-minute of it didn't have to be so irredeemably nasty and pointless. It's just trash people. I'll do everything in the world I can to get it hauled away for you. Just give me four hours at the end of the day to write, that's all I ask. But I need a little more sleep. Thanks for listening. I feel way better now.

The day got immediately better after I punched out and hit I-205 and the cell phone rang. I looked down like you're not supposed to and answered the phone call like you're not supposed to because it was Doug and I was eager to hear his voice. He is a great man and a great friend and when I have more time I have to write about him at length. This summer we're taking a hike to Mirror Pond Lake and a bike trip to Eastern Oregon: I wrote it down in here so now it has to happen. Doug, the pressure's on.

He was just leaving work also so I asked him, "What are you doing tonight?" He didn't have any family commitments so we made plans to meet in 40 minutes at wine bar in Tualatin, a new one called Taste of Wine in a little strip mall between Fred Meyers and Cold Stone Creamery. A nice space with lots of light and a picture window leading out to an open marshland. We sat at the bar and met the owner Sharon and her assistant Brian, who came in one night with his wife and liked the place so much he asked for a part time job. If you're going to moonlight, the second job ought to offer some fun and lots of possibility, particularly if you're going to stay up till 4 am and not make a dime.

The wine was terrific, a Three Rivers Merlot that Brian suggested. I'm far from a wine expert but this one was really enjoyable. We nibbled on some pita bread and humus and cheese and crackers and talked till ten. "We've closed down worse places than this," I told Sharon. She and her husband Mark opened the place about two months ago. They are wonderful hosts, providing a true refuge from a one-hour postwork meeting and 4.20 gas. There are few greater pleasures than sharing a bottle of wine with a good friend. Three hours in Doug's company was a conversational roadtrip, an absolute tonic. I told him about the blog and we chatted about our jobs and his family and things we'd like to do, a little news and sports. He is the smartest man I know. "OPEC is smarter than Wall Street. They'll let this go to the level of discomfort, but not to the level of pain. They know not to incentivize the alternatives, to create new market forces they can't control." He studies things I've never appreciated and I admire him for that, but what I really look forward to is his genuineness and booming laugh. A man needs friends, men friends. A lot of those prescription medical ads show guys being guys doing stuff, but that doesn't happen enough in real life. I like the fact that tonight we just did it; we didn't make an idle promise to get together soon--he picked up the phone and I made an invitation and 60 minutes later we were across town and shaking hands. I wanted to hug the ornery bastard but I didn't want to freak him out. We need to become a more expressive culture.

I was seriously late to get there and he sent a text but didn't complain. I had some stuff to do along the way. I called Marie for the first time in two weeks, I called Abby's Grandpa Stan and Abby's mom. I'd like to write about those calls but it's 4:30 and I need a nap before work. God it's wonderful to be in this chair. Thanks for coming along.

2 comments:

Doug Mortensen said...

It was a great evening. It seems that in today's post-MTV world, everybody has to be texting whoever they are not with. The person in their presence is always lower priority than the person on the other end of the text message. These people are all missing out on long conversations that involve hummus, cheeses plates, wine, and no text messages.

Doug Mortensen said...

One more thing...I don't know if writing something means that it will happen. For example, I could write that we are going for a hot-air balloon ride across Africa. Does not necessarily mean that it's going to occur, although it does sound interesting! :-)

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.