Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Marie and I have a date

We hung the "Do not disturb" sign on the blog yesterday. Marie and I had a companionable dinner with Captain John Livingstone (U.S.Army, retired) and his wife Nancy, then we spent the night together at The Peppertree Inn off Allen Blvd and Highway 217. In a peaceful courtyard just off the pool, the room was clean and quiet, and it was wonderful to have an entire night together.

Marie looked elegant and irresistible tonight. She made a stunning entrance at dinner, arriving a few minutes late in a black pencil skirt with a ruffle at the hem that showed off her wondrous figure, and a black and white print blouse. I felt a shiver of delight when I saw her, and another shiver the first time I kissed her neck. Her hair was up with a few little curls dangling down, and every curl had its own music. The shivers have never died, and won't.

My devotion to her and need for her is absolute and indivisible. Remember that love doesn't divide; it only multiplies. No matter how much I love other things, my interests and hobbies, my desire to write, my bright,alive children and grandchildren; my love for this woman will be the exponential force and the dynamic driving energy of everything I do until I die. I live to please her and make her proud. I exercise to be the delight of her eyes. She is the fulfillment of all my hopes and the extravagant reward of a God who loves me far beyond my deserving, merciful and full of grace.

To lie with her again and hold her again, and wake up to the sight of her taking her hair down at the mirror, was far more hope and beauty than any man could deserve or absorb in one lifetime: I opened my eyes as far as I could, and waded out into the River of Life as deeply as I could swim. I felt the exquisite rush of the waters around me, warm and soothing and youthifying. We plunged deeply into them and into each other, and emerged whole and bonded, ready for the sleep of Angels. My hope and my joy, renewed and sealed forever.

Last night was the 16th, exactly two years and 10 months since the night we met. Every relationship has its own mystical, curious numerology, dates that repeat with the irresistible rhythm of the downbeat in a good jazz tune, a harmony played by your guardian angels. I met Marie a week and two months after my mother died and as I got to know and love her I felt she had been a gift from a guardian angel. The gift, and my wonder at its tender mercies, have increased 12-fold over time. We have packed more passion and experience into three years than I ever dreamed I could have, and the three years are not yet completed. If I could have twenty more, or twenty days, I could die a happy man.

I need her. Somehow we have to throw off the circumstances and fears that have forced us to separate places. We need to make a home again, and decorate it with harmony and tenderness, light candles on the window ledges like we did in the glorious first weeks of our fevered rush into each other's lives. A pepper sprout stuffed with melted cheese, and we ate it whole and washed it down with the milk of comfort and desire.

How we fit together in every detail, our ages, our interests, our values and experience, and as two passionate electrified athletes in a dance of joy. Marie is a refuge and her golden hair is an unquenchable flame of hope in my heart, and when this trial ends I never want to be apart from her again.

I would give anything to write and accomplish something with my writing, so that we could be together and live a life where we could work in the same space and infuse our lives with this spirit of shared adventure and intense cooperation, begin the day with a drink on the deck, she coffee and me green tea, taking sips of each other in the quiet of a delicious morning. A walk after breakfast, her hand enfolded in mine, a nap, a game of golf, and 10 hours a day to write and read and discover the voice that lies within me, the good pure true voice that sings directly to your heart and hers. I want it, and that life with her, more than anything. I practiced a little more today and I hope it was a small blessing to you. Thanks for taking the time to read, and please come again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Lots of people out here rooting for you guys. You'll make it happen, I'm sure.

Gretchen said...

Wow! I don't really understand why you are not together.

Gretchen said...

Wow! I don't understand why you are not together

Dale Bliss said...

Brad, thanks for viewing the blog and for your encouragement. Marie and I talk every day and see each other as often as we can, and we're hoping, praying and working for the best.

Gretchen, thanks for visiting--with Marie and I, it's complicated. Passion we got, in spades. That's never been a problem. There was this combustible energy between us from the night we met. We could learn a lot from you and Doug when it comes to cooperating and working together. Sometimes we just can't get along, and we'll have arguments as combustible as our passion. Fear creeps into our hearts and heads. The other problem is financial. We're both underemployed and have too much debt and every day burdens of earning a living and keeping a household together have us pretty much overwhelmed right now. We need a fresh start and a new course of action. See the archive entry "Sometimes technology moves at the speed of rage" for a glimpse of how deeply we struggle sometimes.

Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to read the blog. And have a great weekend!

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.