Thursday, July 17, 2008

Balance, Daniel-san

One of my favorite dumb movies is "The Karate Kid." There are a billion things wrong with that movie; it is hackneyed, racist, full of broad, stereotypical characters and a story you can see coming a mile away, but I run into it on Saturday afternoon television every so often and invariably I will watch it to the end. I love Mr. Miagi's lessons--my son Roger is Japanese-American and the pidgin accent is ridiculous and insulting but there's an irresistible tough/tender quality in his homilies for his lonely, bullied pupil. If you let yourself just be a child watching that movie you can't help but be drawn in by the teachings about work and discipline and practice, "paint the fence" and "wax on, wax off" and "sand the floor." But I still can't believe Crane Style really worked. My favorite lesson is the one about "balance," chiefly because I think we all struggle so much to maintain balance in our lives, between exercise and chores, work and family, responsibility and recreation, our own needs and the needs of others. Tonight Dahlia wanted me to play with her. I told her I was too busy. I was, but what a stupid choice, one that utterly screams out for a bop on the head from a sensei. There is never a Mr. Miagi around when you need a quick push into the water.

I struggle constantly for balance, and invariably I'm going overboard in one direction or another. When I started the blog I was staying up till three every night to write, going around exhilarated with the new project but cranky and sleep deprived. For a good stretch of weeks I was working out 5-6 times a week and starting to feel really energized and in shape, but my laundry was stacking up and I wasn't spending enough time with friends and family. The last week or so I've worked out just a couple of times, spending far too many hours playing low stakes Internet poker. I made a $140 over a few evenings of playing $2-per-tournament poker, which is fun, but it's a question of priorities; it's a question of balance.

There are all kinds of areas that demand a balance equation. Money and time. Freedom and duty. Independence and responsibility. Resources and wants. I admire people like William, who seem to have a strong inner compass that invariably points in the direction of God's will, or people like my wife, who just has a fierce inner drive to get things done and put chores and responsibility first.
I have often been a creature of obsessions, passions and drives, and balance has never come easy.

There's even a flip side to balance, I think. Sometimes we have to be willing to be a little unbalanced, to be extreme in our dedications, single-minded in our aims. Flipping those switches at the right time is the true art of living. It takes a strong inner voice, which, when we're in tune with it, sounds a lot like our mother.

My goal for this weekend is to create some balance. Tonight I got the laundry done and a light-hearted blog entry. Tomorrow I'll get a good cleansing workout and a full night's sleep. Monday night when the money arrives I'll catch up on my bills and set a budget for the rest. I spoke to Rick again this afternoon and I should know about the room in a day or two. I really have a good feeling about that--the location is wonderful and in our conversations he seems like a really solid and interesting and enjoyable guy. I mean this sincerely: whatever God wills.

Saturday, I ought to play a couple of games of Old Maid and take Tia and Dahlia to lunch.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wax on wax off...feel the power of the inner soul screaming that it okay to come to your conclusion about your self. keep with the help of God search deep into your inner soul. More will be reveal as you let go of the outer shell. I am here for you. I have an archery tournament this weekend but I check in on you. Be still and know that a power greater than you can and will restore you to sanity.

Dale Bliss said...

Wiiliam'

I sincerely appreciate your concern and your feedback, but I have to say, you describe me as this lost, helpless, out of control person, and I don't think that's entirely fair. I write a blog that is steadfastly honest and personally revealing, so my humanness is exposed here, but the fears and concerns I express are common to many people. We all struggle for balance. We all want to be loved, and live worthy lives. There's no doubt I need a power greater than myself, because we all do, but I don't feel, necessarily, that I need to be "restored to sanity." For one, I've been sane and I've been insane, and I know that sanity is overrated. For another, I'm aware of myself, working and eating properly and not a danger to others, so even with my propensity for self-examination and pronounced openness about my personal journey, I'm currently a fairly sane, functional and even enjoyable guy. Each day I write and try to hold my life up to the light of day and reflect on how I could live better. I'm a flawed man but not a bad or failed one.

Ease up, my friend. Be my friend, and then I can trust your message.

Many blessings to you and thank you so much for reading and for your comments.

Dale

Gretchen said...

I don't know William but I sure don't understand his comment maybe I just too much of a simple person.

Dale I hope you know I am a faithful reader of your blog and have been praying for you.

I do have one question. I had a few days ago made a comment on this post about balance but you didn't publish it, did you receive it?

Dale Bliss said...

Gretchen, William is a good man, an associate pastor at my church who leads a ministry on recovery, based on a program developed at Rick Warren's Saddleback Church in Houston, Texas. His particular perspective is that recovering people (and most of us are recovering from something) have to learn to stop relying on themselves and their distractions and illusions and learn to trust God first, last and always. He calls me to task for my willfulness and lack of faith, and to be honest my response to him was more than a little defensive. I can be that way sometimes. You may have noticed.

His words to me were born out of concern and care, offered from a position of leadership and authority. I've always chafed and bristled at authority, a trait that has brought me where I am today in large measure.

I looked through the blog and my emails, and I'm not finding your previous post anywhere. Can you tell me what you said?

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.