Sunday, July 13, 2008

Stuck in Nuetral, Behind a Bus

Some of the city buses in Portland have a bumper sticker on them that say "thanks to me there are 265 cars that are not on the road today." The exact number does not matter. My friend Doug, who always has a funny story or three, told me a while back about a bumper sticker he saw that said, "Thanks to me and 264 other drivers, there is one bus that is not on the road today." If you have ever been behind that bus, you know exactly what he means. They are slow and smelly and stop every two blocks and hog the road. You can't see around them and often can't pass them, because no one else wants to be behind a bus either. Oh I know all about the benefits of mass transit and the dangers of global warming but that is scant comfort when you're driving and it takes 15 minutes to go 3 blocks. "Damn this traffic jam. How I hate to be late," James Taylor sang, and he was right. Maybe I should park somewhere and get on the bus. Wait, you've got to have a pass, or use exact change. All I have is a fiver. Here's your ticket. Why isn't the bus moving. It's time for my layover. Union rules.

The last few days have been stuck behind the bus days. Really, the last few months have. They've been days you cut yourself shaving and drop your phone and the first customer you help is screaming and irrational and personalizes their small problem to a large hurtful rant and it goes on like this until your break and you realize you forgot your lunch, check your wallet and your pockets and you've got 1.85 between your pockets and the ash tray of your car. So it's a bag of peanuts and a Three Musketeers bar and lots of coffee. The coffee machine's busted. The repair man will be here tomorrow. Stuck in nuetral, behind the bus.

When I start having days like this I realize it's time to take stock of my life and check my attitudes, because something is clearly getting me stuck over and over in the same place, and I'm defeating myself with bad choices and poorly focused attention. As you may know from visiting here previously Marie and I have been separated 5 months now, and we haven't been able to get back together because living apart has been a financial drain and emotional hardship and we had issues and conflicts to began with. Habits attitudes and history have kept us stuck, and inspite of tremendous and obvious affection for each other our troubles and needs and conflicts and the simple yet complicated business of earning a living and keeping thing together has us feeling overwhelmed and stuck. It's a big knot of small issues and entanglements and misunderstandings, plus $250 security deposits and first and last and an unpaid electric bill. We're trying to talk it out but the cell phone drops the call. It goes on like that.

I'm tired of being stuck, and I'm tired of living without her. We have multiple issues and lots of complications, but we're stronger together than we are apart. Beginning today I'm going to break the logjam, no matter what it takes. I'd rather fail spectacularly than stay stuck in nuetral. I'm turning right at the next block and heading in a different direction.

At times like this people pray for guidance. When the great scientist and innovator George Washington Carver was a young man he had big dreams. He rose from poverty and slavery and wanted with all his heart to learn and create. He said he prayed fervently to learn the mysteries of creation. "Lord, I prayed." Carver said, "I want to know the mind of God. And God answered me, 'let's start with a peanut.'" So Carver listened, and revolutionized Southern agriculture with his inventions and patents and ideas, like peanut butter and crop rotation. A remarkable life with many achievements, from a man born in the worst imaginable circumstances. Hope, faith, education, and determination changed his life and through him, the course of history.

My poverty and slavery is born of bad decisions, and I want to change it beginning now. I don't want to know the mind of God, just the will of God, and I believe it starts with reuniting my family. Today I'm putting three ads on Craigslist. I'm selling both computers, the monitor, our second car. Then I'm selling a few hundred dollars I have of company stock. We'll pay our nagging bills and find an apartment. I don't want to be without her anymore. I need her help.

I'm writing this from the lobby of a Starbucks in Wilsonville. The Wheeler internet hasn't been working for some reason so I came here with Marie and bought a daypass from my least favorite wireless company. The cell phone bill was $185 this month and yesterday I had 10 dropped calls or "no network" notifications, including two I made to customer care to cancel my service. A $185 to not make phone calls and now I'm paying them 9.95 to use the Internet for one day. I really am an idiot.

So I'll be writing every day but I may not blog for a while. I let you know how it goes, maybe with an occasional visit to the library. In the meantime I'll have to write the old fashioned way, with pencil and paper. It's time to get to work and stop whining.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dale

I have to say with love you are not going to get anywhere with the attitude you have going on right now. You are not listening to God and as I read it your going to take matter into your own hands cause you want what you want when you want it. And to tell you that going against what God want to have in your life at the moment. You are like the folks in the desert for 40 year going around the same mountain expecting a different result from the time of the last trip around. I know it hurts to not to have the one you love by your side. I been down that road on my second marriage however it was not the will of God no matter how hard I tried. In fact it was not until I started working on my deep seeded issue that God reveal his plans for me. You see I had to let her go completely before God's will started taking place in my heart and mind. God is not going to move in your life until you are truly broken relying on his will and the power to carry it out. Now if I can say, you can not go at this on your own actions. You are going to need grace and truth over time to get what God has to offer you. Not knowing the whole story of your marriage/life I feel you always got your way be it the right way or wrong way. But I feel Dale never suffer the true brokenness of God power. Keep in mind God will always win no matter how you decide to play the game.

Coffee offer still stands. Don't quit before the miracle happens

Your Brother in Christ
William

Dale Bliss said...

William, thanks so much for your comments and your concern. I am looking forward to sitting down with you soon and having a good conversation. You are man of faith and tremendous heart, and I appreciate you.

Best wishes,

Dale

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.