Thursday, July 3, 2008

Then something terrible happened. Sometimes, though, something terrible turns out to be a great thing...

Have you ever found yourself in the grip of a hateful, rigid person, a true enemy of hope? Someone hopelessly devoted to charts and policy, incapable of hearing or appreciating a dream, or a devotion to a larger cause? Who, when faced with a problem, will never say, Dale, what's going on? How can we help you? But will instead haul out the color-coded chart and the written action statement. The sad part is, people like that usually become in charge of something. They become supervisors of business units with 100% turnover every 18 months.

Suppose you had an employee who had won two national customer service awards in their first year on the job, an award that was given to only ten people in an entire nation-wide publicly-traded company each month. Suppose that employee was employee of the month for February and had achieved perfect attendance in May, took 90 calls a day with a 4.0 (out of 5) quality rating. Suppose that employee came to their immediate lead and said, "I have a problem. I'm pursuing a dream that means a lot to me and is demanding a lot of my time. I need some flexibility in my schedule. I need to ask if can adjust to a part-time schedule, perhaps 9-5, 10-5 to accomodate my dream." Would you listen? Would you at least attempt to understand what the employee was saying?

It's a weird deal--I am so much my father's son, to my own undoing. I am suspicious of authority, chafe at criticism, and hate conflict. When faced with situations like this, I usually make them worse and then wind up starting over. And now I'm probably going to do it again.

The biggest problem is, I hate working for a living. I'm not lazy; in fact I'm a pretty hard worker. But I hate the fact that you have to sell the biggest part of your life to an organization that doesn't care about you and is hopelessly wedded to ineffectual cheerleading and slogans, that doesn't know how to "smile, care, know, own, step up" when it involves a member of their staff.

I know the blog is only a blog, and there are millions of them out there. But it is important to me, and so is the dream of telling stories, particularly my mother's story, and the stories of those I know who have led such inspiring, noble lives. I probably won't make a dime from this. But it's more important to me than my crummy job. I can always get another crummy job. Although putting this out on the blogosphere probably won't help. Fortunately there are millions of people and employers who have never heard of me.

I hate writing posts like this, self-indulgent and whiny and elliptical. I'd rather write about big things and real emotions, the good stuff of life. But this is where I am today, and we'll have to make the best of it.

6 comments:

Gretchen said...

Sometimes my simple mind has a hard time following your blog. So I am confused did you quit your job? Before I make other comments I want to understand the situation better.

Dale Bliss said...

I didn't officially quit, but I'm definitely in the "disgruntled and looking category. I almost always handle these situations wrong from start to finish.

Amie N said...

I have to tell you Dale, I feel the same way about our company as you do. It seems there is no flexibility and this is why the turnover is hugely high! I was promoted and then had my job taken away, feels like a demotion. Anyhow, your not winey, just a realist, and I completely understand your grief! :(

Dale Bliss said...

Amie--

I guess the one great thing about all our jobs is that they occasionally provide us three precious days when we don't have to go to them.

Thanks for your comment, and have a wonderful 3-day weekend with your family and friends.

I absolutely love the new photos on your blog, particularly the sunset photo. I love your use of music too. That song "It's Gonna Be a Better Day is very cool.

Best wishes,

Dale

Anonymous said...

It is stated in the bible work unto the lord. You are not the first to come to this crossroad of a ungrateful employer. But at the crossroad you do have to choose. Do it your way(which probably in the past did not turn out so good) or trust in the lord and do it his way. Ask yourself did I win all this stuff on my own or did God pave the way and knock out the stronghold. Remember your entitle to your pity party but who going to join you(now that you got that all out what now)? In love I say once you know the rules you than know how to play the game.

Dale Bliss said...

William, thank you, this is thoughtful advice from a spiritual counselor. You are right to point out that a Christian should be guided by God in all things and not swayed by pride or self pity. I am very guilty of relying on "intellect" and human wisdom much of the time, and it has led to some rash, poor decisions.

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.