Friday, July 4, 2008

Reborn on the Fourth of July

The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays, and I love holidays in general. I love the fact they give us all a mini vacation, an excuse to gather with family and friends and live a little larger than we normally do. They are usually accompanied by some kind of feast, and I love to eat. I had an anthropology professor in college, Dr. Lou Foltz, and he used to say, "In every culture throughout the world throughout time, food equals love." Think about it. We have a holiday, we gather together and have a feast: the Easter ham, the 4th of July barbeque, the Thanksgiving turkey. Someone gets married, there's a rehearsal dinner and reception and more feasting. Someone dies, family and friends mourn the death and comfort one another over a meal. Food brings us together. Doug and Gretchen's son Tucker is a gifted chef who graduated from the Cordon Bleu cooking school in Paris, and he can create food of all kinds that is a fourth of July fireworks display of taste sensations and an expressive parade on the table, amazing to taste and beautiful to look at. He is an artist with kitchen tools and simple ingredients, and expresses his love to his family by preparing incredible meals. If you are ever looking for a caterer for a wedding or special event, you can contact him through Gretchen's blog. I will try to provide a better link later.

I love the whole atmosphere of the 4th of July, the fireworks, certainly, but also the fun and informality. Picnics and cold drinks, a blanket in the shade. It's wonderful to celebrate the 4th of July in a small town, when the whole town dresses up and puts on its sequins and tasseled shoes and throws a party on Main Street. The mayor goes by in a pretty car. A troupe of sweet, smiling young girls twirl down the street with ribbons in their hair, performing a dance they've practiced for months. I love the pride on their faces, the happiness they give out to the crowd. Rodeo queens and mounted sheriffs' posses do the parade wave from the backs of beautiful horses with braided manes. There is a magic in a Fourth of July parade, a hopefulness. And afterwards there is cold lemonade, the most perfect drink in the world if it is made with real lemons. Calories consumed with family, on beach trips and picnics and special occasions, don't count. Oh I know they count in a strict sense, but I believe they are truly good for you, because they are good for your human heart. Just be sure to consume as much conversation and laughter as you do strawberry pie, and you will have a completely balanced Fourth of July diet.

I am especially looking forward to this Fourth, because Marie and I have another date. We're going to play golf at Frontier, a little nine hole pitch and putt tucked away in the country a couple of miles west of Canby. Years ago Mr. Sisul turned a piece of his farm into a golf course, and it is a quiet, beautiful place, golf scaled down with 90-yard holes and a gentle pace, just right for families and first dates. I've fallen in love with Marie all over again many times on the eighth hole. She'll be wearing some summer clothes and the wind will be playing with the wisps of her hair and I just can't believe how beautiful she is, how happy I am just to be where she is. I need to write a book, get a $25,000 advance, pay our bills so we can be together and be happy; I just want all the longing and sad phone calls to end. This weekend her mother is in the hospital: her blood pressure got down to something like 60 over 30 and she was extremely dehydrated and weak after some intestinal problems. I offered to drive Marie down to Crescent City to see her but Gladys seems to be recovering and it doesn't seem necessary. We'll wait and go down when she's home and happy and ready for a visit. And we'll celebrate with a good meal, because that's what families do. Food does equal love. You just have to choose the right portions of each.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad--

I've decided on a theme for your next book: it should be a children's book...yes I said that. I was thinking about a gopher or groundhog that likes to golf. He sneaks around the course and takes the balls after they sink into the holes and then late at night when no one else is around he plays a round or two. Maybe later he could even enter a tournament or something. You like kids, you love golf, and you have a pretty decent sense of humor. I think it would work. If nothing else try it out and get back to me. I can always just add it to Ethan's library. The best books are usually about things the author enjoys anyway. If you want you can give the little gopher/groundhog a little playmate and name her Marie......I'm just saying.

Me

PS think about how good those Grandpa and Me stories were (I think they were gophers or something) they even had sequels!!! You could make millions. I think kids books with golf themes might be your thing, and then you could have the gopher/groundhog move on to other sports, Kourt says swimming is prety good too.

PSS Kourt made it into the paper here fourth place in breaststroke at her most recent meet!!! She rocks.

PSSS I want the copyright on the idea so if you do make millions I want at least a grand or two and no one else reading this can steal my idea cuz it was written here first and I'll sue :)

Anonymous said...

Dad--

I'm disappointed you didn't have any thoughts or comments back on my book idea......I was all excited :( You used to always comment back whenever anyone posted something on the blog now you are slowly ignoring your posters. Not good Dad you must continue to acknowledge your loyal fans it's just good business!

Me

Dale Bliss said...

Steff I am so sorry. I am posting and commenting as fast as I can--I have to go out there and get new material, and eventually I have to eat, work out, pray, love as well.

I love your idea for the book and I sent you a personal email with a couple of initial ideas for the title character. Although children's writing isn't principally what I want to do I do love kids and have a pretty good imagination and a childlike view of life. Through the years you have given me some pretty good advice, some of which I've failed to follow through on.

I'll work on the Murray the Gopher story and we can use Kourtney and Ethan as a test audience.

Love,

Dad

Dale Bliss said...

Oh, and congratulations to Kourtney on the swim meet results. I know dancing is her first love but it's pretty cool she's trying swimming too. Marie was on the swim team in high school and she was a district sprint champion in track. Did you know I never learned to swim until I was 13, and I almost drowned at a Little League picnic the summer before? Your grandma made me take swim class with the toddlers, and the teacher was a kid who was a year behind me in school. THAT was a little embarassing.

Dad

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.