Friday, September 19, 2008

A Nap Gone Horribly Wrong

I came home determined to win some money. I was through pussyfooting around. I was going to play solid and determined and build my stash. I've done okay this month, with some small wins and altogether I'm up about a $100 for the month, but I haven't made a final table, and my goal is five final tables a month, which would bring in a $1000 or so and make my hobby worthwhile, in addition to supplying a nice windfall to keep the wolf at bay.

I played one tournament, folded bad hand after bad hand, then saw the flop with a pair of sixes in a 5-way pot, a good proposition. It was a lively game with lots of raising, what poker players call good implied odds. It means you will get paid off when you win. The flop came 10-6-4, two clubs, and the betting was again crazy around the table. Someone bet, someone raised, I reraised, and a fourth player put in a final reraise. I wasn't alarmed--I had a set of sixes, a good hand, and this particular table was pushing maniacally with all kinds of lesser hands, so the set was probably good at this point, worth defending, a good hand to go broke with.
The turn card was a blank, a five of another suit, and the betting continued madly. I was firing away with the best hand, pretty certain I was correct in doing so. The pot had grown to 8000 chips by now, enough to catapault the winner into great position in the tournament.

The river card was an 8 of spades. This was mildly worrisome. The club draw had missed, and any overpair hoping to make a miracle overset had missed, but any clown foolish enough to withstand 10 raises to draw to a 7 had made a miracle straight. I wasn't as confident now, but logic dictated playing the hand out. It was the sort of draw "you have to pay off" if a player had it. And of course, the principal clown, the player who had made the most frantic and insistent of the raises, was playing from first position and turned over a 9-7 of diamonds. He'd bet like a fiend and called every reraise with an inside straight draw, and now he had 10000 chips. And I was down to a paltry 115, nearly busted and completely disgusted. Every decision had been correct. A great variety of other cards on the river, and I'm sailing to the final table and a good payday. That's poker. That's why I play, to draw with better cards against frantic fiends with worse ones. This was the Friday Night of the Frantic Fiend, triumphant with his Texas Chainsaw, hockey mask and the 9-7 of diamonds. That's okay. I hope he takes his wife out to dinner and makes love to her. Eleven other nights, Marie and I will have the rib eye and broccoli special at Boss Hawg's. And we'll have better attention either way.

Enough poker, I thought. Gretchen is probably thinking that already. I plunged in the shortstack on my next big blind, pot committed, had a couple of squares of delicious dark chocolate left over from our last delicious date, and decided to take a nap.

Here on the blog we have extolled many times the virtues of the two hour nap, the Greatest Invention in the History of Mankind, no matter what Doug says. I especially recommend them after horrifying personal experiences like river inside straight draws, and to get the week out of your system at the start of the weekend. Start your weekend with a two-hour vacation. Start slow, and gather your strength. Let your body know we're entering a better place and a better time, a furlough from the cell block and all its stresses. There are no shanks to be pulled on the weekend. It's safe to drop the soap. Be here and be whole. I slept like baby Ethan after a good warm jar of Gerber Macaroni and Cheese, dreaming blissfully of the next one. Got to see that chunker soon. I can't wait for him to meet Marie. She loves babies, especially adorable little boy babies, and babies invariably love her and come delightedly to life at her attention.

The nap proceeded perfectly according to plan and began its rejuvenating magic. It had been a rough week and two hours turned into three. That was okay. It must have been what my body needed, and my tired overstressed weekday brain was enjoying going along for the headsetless ride. No phone calls in the two hour nap. No angry customers, no inside straight draws. Just perfect peace. All I needed was the blue-eyed girl with the delicious curves and the fun curly hair, but those days are coming soon. Right now it was just good to rest.

Then it all ended abruptly with a persistent and maddening beep beep BEEP BEEP BEE-OPP BE-OPP. My alarm! I shook myself out of bed to turn it off. Why wouldn't it stop? It was ringing in my ears, louder and LOUDER. It won't stop. I pressed the button, I changed the time, I unplugged it from the surge protector but IT STILL WON'T STOP. Frantic and disoriented, I rushed into the hallway, the unplugged alarm still in my hand, trying to figure out why the hell my ears wouldn't stop ringing, why my brain was filled with this furious beeping, sure I was going to wake up the entire neighborhood and piss off a an entire street of vengeful dogs and cats.

Then I figured it out. Someone had fired up the barbecue and burned a steak. It was the smoke alarm, going crazy above my head in the hallway. This time I wasn't going mad, just out of sorts and disoriented in the dark. It was okay. I didn't need to smash my alarm clock in the driveway to make it stop. The cops weren't coming to haul me away, not yet.

Relieved to solve the beeping mystery I rotated my laundry and started another game. This time I was even more alert and decisive, and it took three inside straights to finish me off. Five dollars in the hole for the weekend. Five fifty to be exact. That's okay. The moon will set eventually, the maniacal straight drawers will return to earth. I'll be waiting when they do, well-loved and rested. I'll earn enough to go see my beautiful grandbaby boy, and we'll celebrate with two steaming bowls of macaroni and cheese. Just wait till Ethan is old enough to taste the kind you make from scratch. I hope I'm there for that day of lip-smacking goodness, and maybe his first crawl. That's the good stuff. Make room in your life for more of the good stuff. Set your alarm as infrequently as possible, and try not to burn the steaks.

4 comments:

Gretchen said...

Sorry about the bad luck at poker tonight. We went to the Tualatin football game(late becase I had Victoria at the doctor) Tualatin won, I would give you details but I couldn't possibly remember except we came from behind to win, Beaverton attempted a feild goal which had they made would have tied the game at 15- 15 with 1 second left on the clock. It was Tualatin's first win of the season and Levi had a great game.

Victoria got a concussion in her soccer game against Cleveland HS JV team yesterday. She was playing goalie and dove for the ball, the girl that was with the ball tried to stop but knees and feet flew into Victoria's head and neck. She played for about 10 more minutes but from the sideline I could see she was not okay. I walked to the corner of the field so I could observe better, she simply wasn't alright. She didn't want to come out but I alerted the coach and we both made the decision she needed out, it was about then she fell to her knees holding her head and neck. The coach stopped the game. After lying on the sidelines for another ten minutes I had about deicded she didn't need a doctor because a concussion just means rest (Tucker has had several so I know)but the coach and trainer wanted her to be seen. It's mild the doctor said if she rests all weekend she should be able to go to school and play in the game on Monday, if not just rest for a few more days. She's still in bed so I don't know how she is feeling this morning.

Gretchen said...

I have set off the smoke detector many times buring food especially at this house.

Anonymous said...

Dad--

Our smoke dectector goes off anytime the oven is set above 400. It's really stupid. Ethan is getting ready to crawl any minute. Tom calls all the time from NYC to check the status. He missed the first roll over on another trip and he is determined not to miss the crawl. Today is fantasy football day. So far we are doing well, our big game is tonight at 5 Dal/GB. We need GB to pull off an amazing upset game. Here's to hoping, we are so far 0-2 it's sad but we will prevail.

Anonymous said...

Football update, GB didn't win but since Aaron ran in his own touchdown we were able to score enough fantasy points to beat our opponent, Tom's youngest brother Brian for our first win of the season. Next week we have a bye but I think we will use it to see if any of our players are worth anything or if we should trade them. Matt Forte rules he may save us the season. We have two more players on tomorrow with the Jets, but we already one 71-69 so any extra points are just for haha purposes.

Wish Tom luck tomorrow, it's his first day with actual work to do at the United Nations Assembly. I told him no one important was going to that only the people who represent the really important people so if something was ticking he should run the other way. He promised to listen to me (I think he may have just said that though). I have caught the kids' cold and am very unhappy about it. I turned in my letter last week officially quitting my job, I forgot to tell you. I may get a day care license to watch my friends baby she is due early next year while I wait to go to school.

Keep blogging it makes me happy. And I am too cool to let down. Besides how many smart funny beautiful daughters do you have? You need to keep me happy cuz we women are hard to please.

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.