Monday, January 11, 2010

And Now For Something Completely Different

The blog has been under the cone of silence for nearly a week, and the explanation can be traced to fear. Ernest Hemingway called writing facing the white bull, and although Hemingway can be accused of being overly dramatic in his posturing and his extravagant liberations and runnings about, and particularly in his choice of exits, he did have a gift of turning an illuminating phrase. Sometimes a blank, empty page can seem daunting. What if I have nothing to say? What if what I do write pisses someone off, not some random stranger, but someone I know and love and need? Ideally the blog is free range writing, and we have to be free to forage and feast and peck on any seed of inspiration we unearth. But what looks like a tasty morsel to me can strike the reader as a disgusting bug covered with dirt. Well today we are going to dish the dirt, and let the dust and the disgust fall where they may.

Kate Gosselin is on the cover of People magazine this week with a new $20,000 hairdo and a $4,000 makeup job. Here is a woman who is fake from the top of her head to her boobs to her belly, and famous and admired for practically nothing. Shakespeare named his famous shrew Kate, and Kates (at least this one) have been trying to live up to the name ever since. Kate Gosselin repulses me, for she is the epitome of the empty celebrity-worshipping culture that is America. She parents eight ill-advised children badly (no one as immature as dysfunctional as she and her husband should have one child, let alone eight induced and created by the use of powerful fertility treatments.) The Gosselins are famous for nothing, living right down the celebrity street from the Kardashians and the Hilton sisters, with a talent for nothing other than a willingness to display all their messy embarrassing immaturity in public, and wear expensive pretty clothes on red carpets. Kate's getting a talk show now. Maybe her first guest can be Tiger Woods.

I don't like watching people fight on TV, because I hate myself when I'm angry. I don't like losing control. I hate craziness and the loss of rationality, the place where arguments turn into scenes and everything becomes hurtful and personal and your guts start to churn and you find yourself fighting the urge to fight or flee. My mother was an amazing woman in many ways, but something that will always stay with me was her painful and acute ability to cut you when she was angry, with wounding words, withholding affection, sarcasm and humiliation. I have a deep, visceral reaction to people who talk like Kate, who try to get the upper hand in a negotiation with belittling remarks and hurt. Jon was a spoiled, self-indulgent teenager, but his wife humiliated and emasculated him on national TV week after week. His mid-life crisis and train wreck carrying on were sad and predictable. Like Tiger Woods he seemed to have a very low standard for what comprised "hot chicks."

It will be interesting to view the sequel to this sad celebrity tale. For Jon now the money is gone and his fifteen minutes are nearly over. His life is taking on the bloated remember me quality of faded minor television actors, and, after the TLC lawyers are done carving up his office-above-the-liquor-store mouthpiece, he'll have severely limited prospects for rebuilding his brand. He'll no doubt wind up doing shows like "I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here" or "Dance Your Ass Off." His wife's prospects are brighter. Somehow in the whole mess she comes off as the sympathetic and responsible one. I know better. I've been in those kinds of arguments, so I know where the verbal weapons were hidden, where the hand grenades of shame were tossed. She broke him down. They destroyed each other, and turned eight little lives into tabloid curiousities, all for a little bit of money. I love that line, the closing words of "Fargo." The Coen brothers should take a stab at the Gosselin saga, but it's probably too bizarre even for them.

I'm writing cranky and bitter today, because circumstances here at blog central are getting under my skin. Most of the news is bad, especially at the personal level. Marie's employer called her this morning and her temporary assignment ends as of today, and that plunges us into a new round of financial uncertainty. We had another global thermonuclear fight, and this one was all my fault. I was the one who got irrational and flew off the handle. Fortunately she was quiet and understanding and waited for me to calm down. We need a miracle. We need our own reality show. I've always said we would be good rich people. We would enjoy it far more than they do, and we would be more generous.

My own job has taken a turn for the worse. I spend my days talking to drunk, pissed off people who don't know how to operate a TV remote or connect a cable wire or read a bill, and now the global communications giant is instituting a 2% sales quota, meaning that 20 of the thousand calls I take in a month have to end in the sale of a new product, which sounds reasonable except that nearly all of my calls are from people who are furious about their existing products.

It's a weird job environment. All of the communication is by email and on a typical day I get 30-40 emails, some about service issues or lost ipods and at least six that are of the "Office Space" TPS report variety, something about a policy that is changing or a new code is being instituted, or this campaign is being revamped and that one is ending or a new work order error is being created. My eyes glaze over when I read them. I'm literally bored out of my mind and want to stare off into space, gut a fish at my desk just to break the monotony. Lately I've being taking my laptop into work, to play Bowl Bound College Football and Pokerstars.com between calls and the really even more bizarre thing is that my supervisor is okay with it. He hasn't expressed anything other than mild curiosity about it. "Are you playing with real money?" he asked. I assured him that I am, although lately I'm not winning any. It's amazing how many ways wired aces can lose to a pair of eights or deuces. I'm having new nightmares just thinking about it.

I'm basically an optimistic and positive person. I never set out to be such a bitter old man. But I've come to the stage where I need something good to happen, or I may have to take matters into my own hands and go a little crazy. I've done that before, however, and it didn't come out well. If only I could get a job writing a blog, watching Duck football, playing poker and exercising. Then I would be the happiest man in the world. I wonder if we have any cheese curls.

In other news, the smart, funny and beautiful blog daughter is having a baby, on June 8th, dangerously close to her beloved, now-deceased Grandpa Prunehead's birthday. The ultrasound was last week and it's a girl. We have a surplus of girls but I consider that an embarrassment of riches. Marie's son just a had a baby in December, Madilyne Rose, and she as pretty and sweet and pink and perfect as a baby could be. These are the compensations for growing old. In another 14 years the government is going to pay me for doing absolutely nothing, and I'm sure it will be everything I ever dreamed it would be, and in the meantime there are beautiful, pink, perfect grandchildren, who only want to be held and loved. Just like all the rest of us.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Dad--

Yea blog! I'm sorry work sucks, but don't quit, remember you're and adult now and you need the money. Don't forget you have one rockin' grandson and he totally digs all things boy, football, trucks, guns, dirt, mixed martial arts, cars, and hot chicks (but not in the icky Jon or Tiger way).

Me

PS Quit talking about the evil Prune he might hear us and just to spite me he'll make Elizabeth born on his day, it's bad enough I have to share it with him.

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.