Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Try A Little Tenderness

We've come to a lovely place in our often stormy relationship here at Blog Central, She gave a little and I did too, and gradually and then suddenly things have become remarkably better. Our voices are softer and smiles come more easily. We hold each other more and our kisses are softer and more frequent. We don't seem to get as troubled by the little bumps or the times we're busy. There's more cooperation, more compliments, more acceptance. If she's busy with chores or I'm playing poker we still stay connected. There are little timeouts for an embrace or conversation. We seem to enjoy each more, and a lot of the tension and hurt is gone. I'm sure we will still have our days and moments and tests of wills, but the worst is over. We've decided to move on together, that we need and enjoy each other, and it feels nice. It feels like home.

Yesterday we visited baby Madilyne, six weeks old, looking pretty and pink in a blue outfit with yellow daisies. I sang to her and held her and read her two stories. Already she is smiling and responding to faces, and she seemed to enjoy reading time. Of course at this point she's enjoying being held and talked to, the love and attention and comfort that accompanies the storybook. She turns to look when people talk to her and her eyes follow her mother when she walks across the room. The life of a small baby is full of miracles and wonderful discoveries. It's been a great joy to us sharing in the first weeks of her life and her parents are very generous with her. Invariably when we come to visit Ashley will put her in our arms, obviously delighted by our delight in her baby girl.

Much of my life has been a waste and a disappointment, through no one's fault but my own. I had opportunities I squandered and gifts I never used, and I loved the people I was given to love imperfectly. My life was chaotic, often sad, too often self-destructive. I fought demons within myself, angry, unsettled, often without goals or a plan or a purpose. As a young man I was a fool, nervous and unprepared for the world, crippled and conflicted by my nightmare upbringing. But many people have done far better coming from far worse circumstances. Instead of being resilient or resourceful I hid behind shallow pretenses and vague distractions and obsessions. My thirties got here in an awful hurry. I kept repeating the same mistakes in new situations. I kept running. I never stayed anywhere for long. I quit jobs. I started arguments. I packed my bags and started over somewhere else.

My fifties came long before I expected. What a blur the time had been. I hadn't held on to anything. But in the last season of my life I was lucky enough to meet a woman strong enough to stand up to me and demand I stand my ground, and through luck and the passage of time I became a grandpa.

I was born to be a grandpa. All my best qualities have come out in grandpahood, and I've mellowed just enough to be ready for the role. The little ones seem to love my voice and my gentleness, arms strong enough to swing them and hold them and a lap that is always ready for a storybook or a cartoon movie. They readily sense the depth and genuineness in me, the gentleness that survived living in a thicket on Swan Island and parents who beat and humiliated me. My grandchildren know I would never hurt them. They know I see them as the most precious and delightful children in all the world. Exactly the way they should feel around their granda. It's the job of a lifetime, the joy that undoes all regret.

I'm looking forward to the unfolding of their lives, their accomplishments and discoveries and the sound of their laughter. Kourtney, Makenzie, Bryce, Ethan, Madilyne and Elizabeth are the cherry tootsie roll in the candy dish of life, and they make me so happy I made it to the last season of life. They make me happy to be an old man. I wouldn't trade places with anyone in the world.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Dad--

I'm so bad all I got from that was you said you were old.....hehehe. No you are a good grandpa but you really should come visit more. We are having a Super Bowl party you know, just sayin. I don't know when your days off are but our taxes are due in soon and Tom's leaving so you should come visit. Although Backyard Olympics might be out of the question as the yard is a mudbog. Who knew Yakima could get this much rain????? It almost feels like being back home.

Me

Me

Dale Bliss said...

Old, no doubt. Since it's winter, we could have the indoor Olympics. Bean bag toss, putt into a drinking glass, etc.

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.