Thursday, July 29, 2010

Finding A Pattern That Works for Me

I write three blogs now, labors of love, this one, one on affirmations, Envision Your Best Self Daily , and The Duck Stops Here, which is about Duck Football. None of the three are going to make me rich. Let's be honest, none of the three are going to make me a dime. But all of the experts say the secret to true success and true happiness is to find your passion and follow it. At some point I'll add a poker blog and a golf blog, and the chief benefit of all that blogging will be that I'm writing every day. Writing is life, hope, and engagement. Writing is the exercise and the discipline that gives life to my heart and mind. Oh, I have to admit, a good deal of the time I don't have a whole lot to say. But in writing you discover your voice, and the effort to dedicate and develop yourself is more than worth it. It engages me. It gives me hope, and the means to reflect and to grow. It isn't a seamless or quick process. It's something you dig out of the ground, like mining for gold. You have to move around a lot of dirt to get to the priceless stuff. You have to keep believing the priceless stuff is within you. I fervently believe it is.

I made an important discovery today, or more accurately, an important rediscovery. The best time for me to write is in the dead of the night, The dark early morning hours when the apartment is quiet and everyone is asleep. That's the time when it can't get sidetracked by the demands of the day or heat or noise or pressing obligations. It's the sacred time that isn't clogged up with anything else. This is the best time for me to write. This is when I am the most trusting and the most clear and the most earnestly committed.

I don't often want this to be the subject. It's dangerous to be writing about writing, navel contemplation to the ninth degree, holding a keyboard like the guy on the Cream of Wheat box holding a box of Cream of Wheat that has a picture of a guy holding a box of Cream of Wheat. You can get lost in paradoxes or redundancy. There's far more interesting stuff to consider.

Tonight however I needed to make a declaration. I want to write, and I want to write every day, and the best time for me to do that is in the wee hours of the morning when every thing is dead silent and the years and memories come back to me. I can make out the outlines of the shadows. I can hear the voice of God and the music in the stillness. I can't write when someone is watching me with suspicious or distrusting eyes. I can't write in chaos and clamor. I need quiet. I grew up in a chaotic house of seven children and two dysfunctional adults who were either in a frenzy of codependent ecstasy or screaming misery and nightmare violence. The quiet soothes me and takes me back to my safest place. I crave quiet and stillness. I'm terrified of meanness, sarcasm, anger and demeaning brutality. I have no stomach for hurt. There's a shame within me I'd give almost anything to avoid revisiting. Except when I'm writing. When I'm writing I'm not afraid of anything, which is why I want to do it more than anything in the world. I'm glad I got that out. I don't do it to slight anyone or ignore anyone or hurt their feelings. I do it because it's the most necessary and vital journey of my life.

No comments:

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.