Sunday, July 11, 2010

Life is What Happens When You Are Making Other Plans

It's a wry observation squared, violently illustrated by John Lennon's own life, ended abruptly by a crazed fool with misplaced fascinations. We have our chore list and our bucket list but the off-kilter wheel of life neither stops or slows down for anyone. Oh, we can make our plans, but they'll be thrown off line at every turn. We can make our paths straight but life will surely add some twists and turns of its own.

I never made it to the golf course this weekend but I did enjoy a can of cold beer. Pabst Blue Ribbon, a working man's beer, reliably cold and beery, a can of suds to celebrate the end of the work week. We were knee deep in grandkids, called to baby sitting on both days. The first night I was grousing and resentful, and I let my resentment spoil the opportunity to enjoy them properly. It was only supposed to be for a couple of hours, but we ended up chained to each other until midnight, without car seats or a check-in or a plan. When their mother got home I was miffed and snarky, at my passive-aggressive best. I didn't know we were going to be home all night, I said. They were seeing Frankie's brother Pat off, he's going home to San Francisco. They had to drive him to the airport. To San Francisco? I asked, pointedly, rudeness disguised as humor, the tactic of the chagrined. I was ungraceful and not proud of myself afterward.

I lack the self-assertion to set limits, and then loathe circumstance for my own cowardice. It's as simple as the question, "When do you think you'll be back?" or "Can you leave their car seats?" or "Marie and I wanted to go to the gym and dancing for our date night; we can't watch them past 7:30." That would have given them three hours, plenty of time for a round trip to the airport and even a beer in the airport lounge, even though the lounge probably doesn't have Pabst Blue Ribbon by the can. That's a pity. Although if they did, it'd be five dollars a can, enough for a six-pack of tallboys at the store.

But I often do this, this stoking of resentment by expecting others to anticipate my unstated expectations, expecting sensitivity from the oblivious. How's that worked out so far? Sometimes we have an uncanny radar for self-deception, letting people take advantage and then building barriers of carping snippy resentment afterward. It's a very self-defeating dynamic. Ashley plays us for fools, we throw a hissy, she stalks off, lather, rinse and repeat.

Then the next day to begin the cycle anew I called to apologize to her. Wonder what Dr. Phil would say about these goings on? I suspect this pattern is repeated among the generations all over the country. It starts with the perception or rather the misperception that anyone over thirty five has one foot it the grave and nothing better to do than be a temporary depository for bored children. I love my grandkids, all six of them, but if I wanted to operate a drop-in, no-appointment- necessary daycare center I'd do it for profit. At least tell me when you're coming back for them. It shouldn't be open-ended. I shouldn't have to ask.

That said, I feel like a miserable fool for not making better use of my time with them. They are beautiful, bright, remarkable little girls. I was grumpy and disengaged. It's not their fault, not for a second. They deserved better from me.

Saturday's duty was much happier. We played on the living room with Madilyne. We played the Giraffe Game and the Bear Game and tickled her with her Glow Worm and she bounced in her Johnny Jump Up. I sang her "Take Me Out to The Ball Game" and buzzed her belly. She was seven months on Friday, happy and engaged, incredibly alert for such a little one. From the time she was two months she has been content to be on the floor and play with her toys, and she is very sweet about it. She's teething now but still in good spirits.

Usually the plans we've made aren't that important. It's the lives unfolding in front of us that are. I have to remind myself not to make the same mistake over again. When my kids were little I was too busy earning a living to live. Like almost all parents I'd give anything to have one more day with them when they were little, to play on the floor and have earnest conversations about their dollies and Hot Wheels, to act as if nothing else in the world mattered in that moment. Because nothing else does. Resentments and self-absorption can rob us of a rich opportunity to be truly alive.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Dad--

You should be nice to little kids because they don't know the truth like me that you're old! hahaha I'm so funny I make me laugh. And I won't tell Tom about your horrible beer, he might just fly home and teach you about real beer. Wait maybe I should tell him.

Me

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.