Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Late on the Fourth of July

My boss is routinely rude to me, and his ordinary communications are flecked with a thinly-veiled hostility. His emails are terse and contentious. His monthly evaluations and scorecards carry the hint of a threat, of impending "corrective action." Odd thing is, my numbers this month are among the best on the team. My scored calls are strong, and I received a customer compliment last month. I process nearly eleven calls an hour, with courtesy and professionalism. I was late twenty minutes on the fourth of July, but that was the first time in three months, and it was the slowest day of the year.

Any day now I expect he'll fire me, and if he does it will be a relief. He's hostile. He's abrupt. And he has been almost from the beginning. My only hope is to perform strongly and escape his attention by choosing another shift at the next shift bid.

He's overweight and a bit of a buffoon. Recently he sent us all an email stating time cards had to be completed by Thursday, that six of us had waited until Friday and this was (sic) "unexceptable". I emailed him back, asking him for a clarification of the policy, since in a meeting just a few weeks ago he had told us specifically not to forecast our time, and this email told us to do exactly that. I apologized for my unacceptable behavior, but without italics. I've had the feeling that from the first week of working for him that something about me pissed him off, that all of our petty little run-ins and calls to his desk were vaguely personal. He fired one of my coworkers a couple of months ago, without warning. I think he enjoys that part of his job.

Our company has a weird culture. There's a lot of group-think and sloganeering. We don't really solve the customer's problems; we just apologize for them. Our engineering and technology is faulty and repeatedly fails, and in customer service, we absorb abuse and send patches that don't really work. Folks are angry to be calling back three and four times. I don't blame them. Our products are expensive. I'd fix it if I could. I'd be more thorough in troubleshooting but I have to keep my handle time down. Most of my coworkers keep their numbers looking good by evading the scheduling of trouble calls, sending resets that don't really work. We're required to sell extra products, so the good soldiers create bundled packages, offering customers a discount on their existing products and adding a third product they don't really want or need or use and usually plan to cancel later. It's a dance of cynicism and inevitable distrust. I make peace with it by politely offering new services and scheduling transfers and additions when I can. So far I've evaded the noose.

But it's coming. I have no doubt if I made some kind of mistake or was unlucky enough to encounter an angry, vindictive customer (and we have a few of those) my boss would throw me under the bus. Particularly if it made him look good, made him look decisive or organized. I have coworkers who have half the sales percentage I do, 20% lower calls per hour, glaringly low work order accuracy and deplorable attendance, but somehow I am G______'s chief target. It's a repetitive misery I choose to ignore, because I can't do anything about it. It's a fact: not everybody is going to like you. If that person is your boss, fasten your seat belts, because it's going to be a bumpy ride.

You might think, why don't you just go in and talk to him, try to clear the air? You can't really clear the air on a vendetta. This conflict is like the Arabs and the Jews, it has nothing to do with reason, there's no real room for negotiation, and most of enmity is based on long-buried history so deep and hostile it's become almost primal and genetic. I remind him of someone. He doesn't like the way I speak or answer his questions. He's probably not even aware his dislike of me is so irrational and one-sided.

As much as possible I like to get along with everyone. I like harmony and peace and wholeness. I work to earn a living and pay the bills. I wish I was a good enough writer to make a living writing. I wish I could win the lottery or get saved by an act of fate or good timing. In the meantime I'll muddle along and do my best, and try never to be late again. If I lose this job I'll look for another one. I just hope I don't wind up saying, do you want fries with that?

That would be really hard for me, because all day long my heart would be screaming silently, don't eat the fries, they're bad for you. Have a salad and a nice grilled chicken breast instead.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Dad--

First of all I love fries! Hehehe. I'm sorry your boss doesn't like you, I think you're an alright guy. I'm cracking myself up this morning. Anyway I've been lucky enough to have mostly cool bosses when I've worked. Although right now my boss is the coolest ever (Ethan). My old boss at the child support office was the best. She actually had an open door policy and meant it. You could come to her whenever and she'd stop and try to help you with your case. She once spent several hours helping me with a debt calculation. Maybe if you need to find a new job you'll find a boss like that. You should try to find a job with the state or city. They pay amazing and have awesome benefits. They are always hiring even during a recession. Are we still in one? I don't even know, I guess the benefit of hubby working for the Army is he always has a job. Too bad it sucks. There next time you think your job sucks just think about Tom, his job really sucks. It was over 130 degrees the other day and now he's going on a mission tomorrow for four days and hopefully no IED's, RPG's, or bullets will be involved. Well that's my hope he'd probably like to see some of that to have something to do. Miss you lots and your job doesn't suck at least you have one right?

Me

Dale Bliss said...

Welcome back, slacker. Long time no comments. Do you think having 2 kids in diapers and a husband fighting evil and madness in 130 degree heat is some kind of excuse?

Looking forward to seeing you this weekend, and the babies. Drive safe. I'm off Friday and Saturday. We could go the park or a practice putting green. I think Ethan would enjoy that, and probably Kourtney too. We could also go out to Canby and play nine holes at the Frontier Farm.

Give me a call when you get to town. I have Friday and Saturday off.

Love,

Dad

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.