Saturday, October 4, 2008

Catching Up on Viewer Mail

When I started the blog I had modest goals: I wanted to be a famous writer, and I wanted to change the world. Of course none of that happened, but what did happen was marvelous. Every day, or at least most every day, I get to write, and I get these marvelous responses from some wonderful people. The blog has become a virtual corner coffee shop where we get together and chat a few minutes. If you don't normally read the comments below each post I encourage you to do so, because the FOBs make contributions that are touching and insightful and funny.

It has been a joy to open up my email and find, in addition to the all-caps pronouncements that I've won an Irish lottery for which I never bought a ticket, or someone with a polysyllabic last name and an official-sounding title needs my help transferring a fortune from some remote corner of the world to my bank account, there is a hug or a hearty handshake from someone I just love being around. Earlier this week in a fit of blueness, which overcomes me sometimes, I mused aloud with discouragement and reflected that I may have to give up writing this picking of the navel lint, but I realize I couldn't possibly: it's a daily love letter to my drop dead gorgeous wife, my smart funny beautiful daughter, and my clever wise insightful interesting closest friends. How could I give all that up, close the doors on a bar where everyone knows your name, and all your personal business?

This will be a marvelous weekend, for no other reason other than it's the weekend. I encourage you to sleep in late and make love to your spouse. Brush your teeth, take a hot shower together, have a banana and a cup of cocoa in bed, snuggle and kiss a while and smooch fervently until all you want to do is couple with the one person who lights your fire and knocks your socks off. Be fruitful and multiply your joy. It's a great part of why God put you on this earth. The kids just want to watch cartoons anyway. Follow up your illicit tryst with a soothing delicious 40-minute snooze. The exact number of minutes do not matter. Then pile everyone into the family truckster for a large, celebratory family breakfast at your favorite spot. Stephanie knows a cafe in Yakima that would be just be perfect. There's one in every town, where the hashbrowns are crisp and fluffy and made from real potatoes, the pancakes are light and perfectly turned and the bacon is thick with bacon goodness. This is Saturday morning. You can work out later. In my neighborhood the spot is the Gateway Breakfast House. If you are ever out this way you can call me on my T-Immobile phone, the number is 503-560-1354. That's right, I just published my phone number. It's more important to me that you have it than if some idiot does. If someone calls I don't want to talk to I can just hang up. And T-Immobile will probably drop the call anyway.

My one and only true love is across town this morning lugging a grocery cart, but in another month or so we'll be back to our own delicious rituals and routines. One of the great joys of having a partner is having a partner in crime, the stolen moments you share, the adventures and escapades you carve out of the ordinary drudge of the day. It's marvelous to be around someone you just enjoy more than anyone else, who shares your quirky sense of humor and loves being around you. All of you know what I mean, because you are caring, alive, interesting and interested people, or you wouldn't be coming back every day. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. As Brad from Eugene wrote,

In these uncertain times, when so many of us are necessarily focused on our bank accounts, 401(k) balances and job prospects, we would do well to remember the rest of the line:

"Buy it and never count the cost,
for a breath of ecstasy,
Give all you have been, or could be."

In other words: Life is short. Live the love you feel.


It's not likely that the blog will make me a famous writer or change the world. But it has brought me something better: a few minutes a day with all of you.

5 comments:

Gretchen said...

Doug and I had breakfast this morning at Marco's in Multnomah Village then walked around there some before we went home to housework, yardwork and kid's activites. I like your blog! doug is at Tucker's watching the Ducks game that they had recorded. I haven't seen the final score but it wasn't looking good when I left there.

Gretchen said...

I just checked the Uo - USC game so sorry about your Ducks, I guess they just don't have what it takes to beat USC like the Beavers.

Dale Bliss said...

To my fiesty Beaver fan friends,

Just remember the Beavers are 2-3, with losses to Stanford, Penn State and Utah. The season isn't over yet, and neither is my anxiety or my grief. Or yours. Brad in Eugene will probably have the last laugh on us all. The Trojans will likely win the conference again and play in a BCS bowl, and in addition, USC has already gotten commitments from about nine of the top twenty high school prospects in the country for next year's team. Enjoy your occasional victory against them, because they will continue to be formidable and have phenomenal success.

Anonymous said...

Dad--

Cheaters are always formidable and have success, thats why the rest of the Pac-10 knows they are cheaters. Besides Penn and Utah shouldn't count anyway, they aren't Pac teams so there.

Me

PS Stop being bitter we are just better than the Duckies

Anonymous said...

Dale, your daughter seems like such a nice person. And I like you. So, out of respect, I'm not going to respond to her silly *cheaters* nonsense with comments about drunk Beavers stealing sheep and beating up servicemen in bars, etc. etc.

This isn't really the place for that sort of thing.

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.