Monday, October 20, 2008

Tired of Talking

Baby I'm out of breath, we're talkin' our selves to death
And nothing seem to change, maybe it's best if we parted
It's like the blind leading the blind,
We're even further behind than when we started

I'm tired of talkin', guess it's time to go
Baby I'm so confused and feeling a little bruised
When all we do is fight, we can't help but feel down hearted
It's like the blind leading the blind
Even further behind then when we started

I'm tired of talkin', guess it's time to go
Baby I'm out of breath, we're talkin' ourselves to death
And nothing seem to change, maybe it's best if we parted
It's like the blind leading the blind
Even further behind then when we started
I'm tired of talkin', guess it's time to go

the legendary blues guitarist Robben Ford, "Tired of Talking"

I saw Robben Ford years ago at the old Aladdin Theater at the foot of the Ross Island Bridge, and he put on a show worthy of the confluence of three freeways and two rivers, rocking the stage from one end to the other and never letting go of the audience for two solid hours, the whole building rocking and bobbing to every beat. I sat in the next to last row with a sultry blond I was dating at the time and we necked through the entire show. It was a fine time, and thinking of it now is a reminder that passions come and sorrows go, and sooner or later everything passes but the blues remain and justify it all.

I feel justified today, vindicated and sanctified, for no particular reason than I'm still living and still going to work. I earned my pay today and rode the train home, cutting across a field of shin high grass to Cascade Station because somehow walking through the field made the trip more interesting, singing the song above like it was my own. I heard "Tired of Talking" the other day on Pandora.com and I hadn't heard it in a long while and it just seemed like the perfect soundtrack for a point in life where all the talking in the world hadn't done a bit of good.

I have no idea what comes next. I'm not in a particular hurry to find out. I had a fine and simple meal on the bench at the entrance to Fred Meyers, a baked chicken breast, some ciabatta rolls and fresh raspberries and the last fall peach, and now I am in my clean, well-lighted place listening to the symphony number 31 in D major. And that alone is enough loveliness to sustain a man for quite a while. I'm tired of talking, but after a good nap I'll be rested enough for another day. That will do for the time being, just knowing I made it off the mountain in one piece like another survivor I read about.

There was a story on the front page of Yahoo the other day about a 7' 9" center from a school in North Carolina, Kenny George, who had to have a part of his foot amputated because of a staph infection, and now his basketball career is over. His school is going to honor his scholarship, though, and his coach said, “There’s more to Kenny George than basketball. The students at this school think the world of Kenny George outside of basketball. We’re looking forward to him coming back second semester — that’s what he wants to do — and complete his degree. At that point, we’d still like him to be a part of our basketball program and part of this school.”

That's a remarkable story, and a reminder that even the feet on which we walk through empty fields are a miracle of creation and a remarkable blessing, and there isn't anything guaranteed to us: all of our smug pronouncements of self-determination and self sufficiency are a ridiculous conceit. Everything passes. Our memory, our intellect, our physical talents, our wealth, health and prosperity don't last a moment. I hope Kenny George has someone who loves him, and realizes that even though he'll never dunk another basketball he's an all time All American of courage and heart. We all are in our own way. It's remarkable what we risk and endure. It's remarkable the hopes we hold on to, and the sorrows we ignore, to work and to love in this imperfect world.

6 comments:

Doug Mortensen said...

There are many blessings for which we should be thankful. Despite all life's troubles, there are many "ordinary" things we take for granted that are actually extraordinary. Our feet, and other fully-functional limbs are one. Ears to hear music with, another.

However, even those lacking those two have blessings to count. In the case of Kenny George, a college willing to honor his scholarship.

The biggest problem many of us have is dwelling on what we don't have rather than the blessings that have given to us.

Sean said...

Dale

I found you on myspace which brought me to here. I've been reading your blogs since this last friday. I'm sorry you have reached a trying time in your life. I hope you and Marie can work out your differences and resume your lives together. I do miss our days chucking, I mean carefully delivering and setting up furniture in customer's homes and talking sports, women, life, and food with you all day in the truck. I always looked forward to riding around Salem with you!

Sean

Dale Bliss said...

Sean!

How totally cool! It's great to hear from you, and I'm amazed that you found the blog. My daughter Steff told me I should create a Myspace page but I wasn't really hip to the technology and never really used it all that much. How are you doing, man? Are you still chucking furniture or where are you working?

How is your daughter? Are you still dating the same girl?

We had some great times on that job and I really enjoyed working with you--you were a great guy to hang around with and we took a lot of pride in the work and made a great team. I loved the conversations and the meals and watching the countryside go by.

I'm making a little better money now but the work isn't as pleasant. As for Marie and I, sometimes you just have to accept and trust and see what happens. I'm not looking to move on but I've stopped trying to fix it. It would take the hands of someone bigger than me to do that.

Hope to hear from you again, and thanks for visiting. Grandma called, and she said you can leave now and stop eating all our steak.

Dale

Sean said...

I'm doing good. I'm no longer working at La-Z-Boy. I'm now working in pest control for Terminix running a primarily residential route over in east county and beyond.

I'm no longer dating Tammy. We're married now. We beat you and Marie to it, we were married March 10, 2006. She got me to move out to Gresham and we're renting a house out here till we can buy our first house. I quit working at La-Z-Boy a month after we were married to help free up my weekends, plus I couldn't see myself stuck there for another 5 years. I'm doing better at Terminix and I enjoy what I do.

Taylor's doing good. She's in 3rd grade already, it's crazy how quick they grow. We're talking about having children together, but she needs to get her tubes untied first. We hope to get that done sometime next year.

We sure did have some good times working together in that truck. That's my best memories working there. Not a lot of people left there that we worked with. Tom is still there (I think he's a lifer), my brother Shane, Juan, and Laurie are all that's left from our tenure.

It's good to hear from you and I enjoyed reading your blogs and catching up with you. It's your turn now to catch up. Pedro, tell them if they vote for you, all their wildest dreams will come true!

Sean

Gretchen said...

Dale,

As I grow older I am trying and trying to appreciate and enjoy life's blessings and simple pleasures.

Do you get to stay where you are living or do you have to find a new place?

Dale Bliss said...

Doug--

you are right about blessings, and way too often we confuse wants and needs, and completely lose track of how incredibly blessed we are. My daily walk to the train always invigorates me that way. I feel so blessed to be walking free and healthy and enjoying my surroundings, letting go of the tensions of the day. When I get the car back I might take the train anyway. It's a very satisfying ritual.

Sean--

Thanks so much for your emails. Great to hear from you.

Congratulations to you and Tammy. You guys were married exactly a week before Marie and I were. Amazing. I remember that summer when you and she first met and fell in love, how crazy you were about her, how happy and renewed and satisfied you looked talking about her. From the very beginning it was pretty evident you'd found your soulmate. I'm not surprised to hear the two of you are doing so well.

Taylor's in third grade? That is truly wild. You're getting old, man.

After LA-Z-Boy I went to work in customer service, first with T-Immobile and now with the garbage company. Basically I get yelled at for a living. Most of the time I just try to be polite and resolve folks' concerns but sometimes they just want to be angry.

We had some great times on the truck, easily one of the most satisfying work experiences of my life. Hard to imagine lugging around sofas for a living for very many years but while I was doing it I feel incredibly blessed to have had you in the driver's seat.
The Terminex job sounds like a good fit for you--you were always really good with the customers. Do you ever feel concerned about handling pesticides all the time?

If you ever have a free weekend morning, give me a call and I'll take you to breakfast at The Gateway Breakfast House, 118th and Halsey, not too far from Gresham. There's also Chang's Mongolian a couple of blocks away. Tammy could come too if you wanted, or if Shane has a repair job over this way he could meet us. It would be great to catch up.

Anyway, take care and thanks for visiting. It was absolutely wonderful to hear from you. How are your parents doing? When we where working together they were just going through a divorce.


Gretchen--

Among the deepest and most abiding of those blessings are friends like you and Doug.

To answer your question, roommate Doug may be moving out the end of October or middle of November, and I may be able to move across the haul and avoid having to buy a tarp for the Halsey underpass. I am prayerfully exploring my options. I have a day of PTO on Monday so I hope to nail it down over the long weekend.

You know, I'm a little worried about Stephanie. She hasn't visited the blog since I missed the hotdog-eating contest, and I'm afraid she may be mad at me. The Civil War is in a few weeks and I have to get a chance to get some of my money back.

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.