Friday, October 24, 2008

Three and a Half Ex-Wives Can't Be Wrong: my 79 worst habits, faults and characteristics

The exact number does not matter. Figure one for every year of my life expectancy, and you'd be close. The apostle Paul called himself "the chief of sinners" and "the least of Christians", and if we're being honest, we all have work to do and flaws to account for. I started this list in my head on the way to work, and I thought it might spark conversation, and perhaps balance the tables a little from all the explaining I do here from my own point of view. Some of these are light-hearted and fun, and others are serious deficiencies of character. I'll let you decide which are which, and encourage you to start a list of your own:

I swear too much, particularly on third down or the first tee.

I give myself too many mulligans and still brag about my score.

Even though I know the science completely contradicts it, I frequently employ the five second rule. If it was something I really wanted to eat, I've been known to invoke the thirty second rule. Even if I dropped it twice.

I lose track of time.

I hate the silent treatment, but if I'm upset, it's invariably how I react.

I don't drink enough water.

Sometimes I only brush my teeth in the morning.

I'm a poor sport. I hate to lose, and if I find myself losing I act like an ill-mannered eight year old. Embarrassed at my own behavior, I then become unsociable and spoil the game.

I chafe and bristle, particularly at authority, rules, and obligations. The theme song of my life could at times be the old John Cougar song "When I Fight Authority Authority Always Wins."

I'm too combative. I always have a nemeses, a rival, a quibble or a point.

I rarely go to the doctor or dentist. Right now I have a cyst on my ribcage I've ignored for eight months, and it's grown to the size of a walnut. I'm thinking of taking it out myself. A little Merthiolate and duct tape and I'll be good as new.

Probably a bad idea, because I'm a big baby if injured or sick.

I put my elbows on the table.

I chew my gum like a cow working a cud, usually about five sticks at a time. Fortunately I don't buy gum very often.

I am a notorious hawker of loogies.

I break promises, or discuss social plans and don't follow through. Right now Stephanie is not talking to me because I missed the hot dog-eating contest. I don't care about the hot dog contest but I miss my smart, funny and beautiful daughter.

I tend to think of myself as smarter than I am. But there's a lot I don't know. And If I were so smart, how come I'm not rich, or have a really cool job, like a jet pilot or football coach?

I don't spend enough time with family or friends. I always feel guilty about it, but I keep doing the same damn things.

More swearing.

I start new ideas or projects in a blaze of enthusiasm and then fizzle out.

I occasionally forget to wear socks, or wear white athletic socks with any outfit or shoes.

I stay up way too late.

I eat too fast.

I do the same things day after day and resist change. I hate change. I like things the way they are.

I open packages with my teeth.

I love to read, but any more I can go months without picking up a book, and it's been ages since I read a moving or life-changing book, and there are hundreds and thousands as close as a train ride to Powell's. My thinking and reading chair is the most underused piece of furniture in the house. My computer chair is easily the most overused.

I can hold a grudge 100,000 times longer than I can hold my breath.

I'm too easily swayed but never convinced. I can read an opinion or editorial, whether liberal, conservative, reactionary or lunatic fringe, and think, hey, that sounds pretty good.

I spend too much and save too little and borrow too readily. Like the rest of the country I'm waking up with a terrible hangover and an empty wallet, and I don't know how much is left in my checking account. Inexcusable.

I forget things. Backpacks, keys, phones, gloves, birthdays, manners, resolutions--I'm an equal opportunity forgetter.

I can remember an embarrassing moment forever, however, and the memory of particular embarrassing ones can creep up on me almost for no reason, the slightest nudge or emotional trigger, sending into a powerful spasm of fresh embarrassment. I become almost oblivious to my surroundings, literally reliving the humiliation, and cry out in shame all over again as if I had Tourette's syndrome. People around me think I've flipped, and I have to invent a lame reason for my outburst. I literally can become haunted by moments and reminders of the past. Am I the only one who does this?

If I open a package of crackers or chips, I'm not stopping till I get to the little pieces.

Sometimes I even eat the little pieces.

If something is bothering me I clam up or stuff it and then explode all at once later on, often over something trivial.

I pick my nose.

I use words like cocksure and asinine merely for their syllabic shock value.

I love to eat those partly popped pieces of pop corn, "the old maids," even though I once cracked a tooth on one, a molar. I think the deductible was $750, the most expensive bag of snacks I have ever purchased.

If I was expecting a romantic interlude and something derails the expectation I pout like hell.

More swearing.

I give up too easily and hold on too long.

Though I frequently test it, I underestimate the limits of God's grace. I isolate myself when I need Him most.

I brood, grouse and nitpick.

I say things without thinking.

I feel things without saying them.

I get defensive.

I think too much.

I think too much about myself.

I talk too much about myself.

I beat myself up.

I create lists like these without doing anything about them.

-------------------------------------------------------

I don't know how all of this sounds. I hope it hasn't been shocking or depressing. For me it was actually liberating and encouraging, just taking the inventory. Now we can have a clearance sale and remodel the store.

And now I'm going to brush my teeth and go to bed.

1 comment:

Doug Mortensen said...

Thank goodness you finally brushed your teeth!

We all have our lists — published or not. So, what will it take to do something about it? You could set a goal of shortening the list. Maybe by one a month. You start by brushing your teeth every night.

79 bad habits and faults on the list; 79 bad habits and faults. Take one off, don't do it no more; 78 bad habits and faults on the list.

I look forward to reading about your progress! :-)

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.