Sunday, August 10, 2008

Another Cowboy on the Lonesome Bike Trail

I made enough money serving beer to the PBR fans (that's Professional Bull Riders Association, and don't call it rodeo) to buy a new bike. I found a vintage Schwinn road bike on Craigslist that a guy named Andrew was selling for $200. It's an old school bike with front and rear fenders and a seat right out of the sixties, but what really sold me was the color. It has a yellow frame and green handle bar tape. I'm getting a couple of UO decals for the fenders.

Andrew was gone when I got there, so his roommate Terry showed it to me and tightened the brakes and filed down the brake pads. I have no doubt I paid too much for the bike. Whenever anyone is selling something old nowadays, they call it vintage. "It has a little surface rust," Terry said, "you can work that off with a brillo pad." I didn't mind. When you are paying for something with found money, I can't see wasting enormous energy in shopping or haggling much. I have a little surface rust of my own, a dent or two in my fenders. The bike and I are a perfect fit. On the way home I bought $10 worth of gas and that will last the entire week. I think sometimes it isn't what you pay for something that's so important, it's the value it has for you. I let some college students cheat me for about $75. I hope they take the money and buy groceries and a case of beer and throw a party.

I brought the bike home and took it out for a ride, pedaling up to the gym for a workout. I did a nice circuit of upper body and core work, feeling really good. I went to bed last night around 11:30 and slept till seven, played some poker this morning and took a two hour nap, a had a great lunch of fruit and crusty ciabatta rolls and green tea, had a shower, cleaned the tub and bathroom floor. I was going to do laundry but I left the damned soap at the laundromat last weekend. I am such an idiot. I miss my wife. She always knew where things were, and helped me remember things.

I miss her for many other reasons of course. Companionship, affection--she was a delight to my eyes and a balm to my soul. I met her yesterday for lunch, and my goodness, she was wearing these cute yellow-green shorts and her hair was down. Utterly lovely and unforgettable. I gave her some money for her car insurance. Yesterday was her birthday. I had been trying so hard not to think about her and trying to accept the fact we were not together that I completely forgot her birthday. Half the time these days I don't know the date as it is, but there wasn't an excuse in the world I could make. I brought her the money for the insurance, from my poker winnings, and she thanked me three times and again in a phone message this morning.

I wrote yesterday about sex, and I don't want to belabor that topic, but I have to say I never knew how incredible sex could be until I met Marie. We had the most remarkable, joyous, delicious, intense, passionate romantic life together. We went dancing. We made love sometimes three times in one day, and I could not look at her without wanting her. In the kitchen. In a vineyard. In front of the mirror. Slowly and tenderly, with whispered promises and endearments. Urgently and athletically, my hands on her glorious curves. When we hugged goodbye yesterday I didn't want to let her go. Two tentative kisses, a sad smile. "Call me whenever you like," I said, "I'm always happy to hear from you. Happy birthday."

It is what it is. I started this blog to tell stories and make discoveries, and that's the part of the story most deeply in mind today. I hope it doesn't offend you, because I always appreciate your visits.

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

I hope you enjoy your new bike. I'm sure Victoria can help with new stickers. Gretchen

P.S. Doug said to say who cares about the Ducks schedule.

Dale Bliss said...

Gretchen,

the bike is a relic, just like me, and I am enjoying it. I love the summer--it kind of bums me out we're already to the middle of August.

Tell Doug he'll have plenty of time to get on the Duck bandwagon when they are 5-0 and on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Anonymous said...

Oh good as soon as they hit to cover of SI they will begin their slow choke.....as usual. BEAVERS RULE!!!!

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.