Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Zimmerman Achieves Inner Conciousness

On Sunday former Oregon Duck Gary Zimmerman was inducted as the 247th member of The NFL Hall of Fame. He had to give a speech, and in it he quoted the Dalai Lama:

In 1980 I signed my letter of intent with the University of Oregon. I chose Oregon over other schools because it was the only college that would sign me as a middle linebacker. While dressing down for the first practice, I thought how strange it was that I was No. 75. After practice the coaches pulled me aside and explained that my future might be on the offensive line. The Dalai Lama once said that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck. The point I'm trying to make here is that nobody starts out wanting to play the offensive line position; it's just where we end up.
You have to love a man who reaches a wonderful milestone and recalls his life with such humor and perspective, a football player who quotes the Dalai Lama. Big hitter, the Lama.

Throughout our lives we are assigned a number. A cubicle. A uniform. A name badge. A position. And we strap on our helmet and block as well as we can. There's not a hall of fame for customer service reps or nurses or mothers or small business owners, but we go in every day and do what we do. "Sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck."

I'm not the least bit ready to become a Buddhist. All that passive acceptance stuff would drive me nuts, but I have to agree with the Lama here. We want things to be easy and uncomplicated. We want our needs met and our path to glory to have no thorn bushes or twists and bends. Of course it doesn't work that way. It's the lessons, the stories and the obstacles that make the road interesting, that give the awards their meaning.

I feel incredibly blessed today, as light in heart as I have in a long time. Nothing has changed in the way of my circumstances, but I have the deep sense that I am in the right place and good things are ahead of me. I drove home with the top down under the warm August sun, and Duke Ellington's band was playing "Take the A Train" on KMHD, and I had the sense I already had my ticket. This weekend I could drive down to Eugene and watch the Ducks practice if I wanted, or this evening I could drive over to the dusty nondescript golf course I love and hack a few more balls into the wrong fairway, or go out for Chang's Mongolian. I love Chang's Mongolian. There's probably a restaurant like that in your neighborhood, where all the fresh healthy ingredients are laid out on a refrigerated table, you pick out what you want with some sesame oil and garlic and ginger and soy sauce, and an incredibly hardworking Mexican man stir fries it over a hot open griddle. Wonderful, simple food, maybe my favorite. I used to take both the kids there when they were growing up. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

I wish I had someone to go with me. It's weird, I consider myself a friendly person, but I don't have all that many friends. I'm not being self-pitying here, just reflective: what it is about my habits and choices that has led me to the place where there isn't anyone I could call and say, "hey, want to grab some Chang's?" There is Doug, who I love more deeply than a brother, but he is busy with his business and family. My own brothers are in California. I got to this place, I realize, because of the way I've chosen to live and divide my time, and many long years of squaring off in a heavyweight crouch of irritability or selfishness. I've squandered friendships, money and time, all my life. I didn't get what I want, not because of a stroke of luck, but because of the strokes of habit, living an independent, eccentric and largely unexamined life, much of the time. It isn't too late, certainly, but relationships matter. In the first pages of the Bible God observes, "It is not good for man to be alone." It's the fundamental truth of human experience.

Certainly there are times when it is very good to be alone. The practice of reflection, prayer, and recovery and growth demand that we spend some time that is quiet and personal. Socrates said, "the unexamined life is not worth living." That's absolutely true, but the over-examined life is paralyzing and a pain in the ass. We all have to take time to reflect, but then we ought to do something about it.

I will never be the life of the party or the center of a wide social circle. The same spirit that leads you to create a blog and aspire to write is necessarily solitary at its core. And I'm an eccentric guy. But I realize one of my goals in this transformation journey (and that's what we are all on, if we are honest) is to reach out and expand my world a little, to make a conscious effort to connect and deepen my connections to other people. Of course I have to choose wisely. There are two truths I am certain of: 1) we become what we think about and 2) we tend to become like the people we're around.

I used to have a really good friend I alienated over time with missteps and inconsiderate behavior, and several years ago we lost touch. Circumstances also played a part, marriages, divorces and jobs, and Parker's fatal flaw was a tendency to be judgemental. He had a deep need to be outraged at someone, a lot of held over anger against an alcoholic and distant father that spilled over into his conflicts with other people. I failed him and his anger at the people who had failed him before made the failure far worse. We came to some kind of crossroads and I never heard from him again. "Not getting what you want is sometimes a stroke of luck." Where is the luck in losing a friend? I suppose it lies in deepening your understanding of friendship, and being invited to discover all the changes you need to make to be more worthy of it.

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

Okay, I have a stretch for you which is too far out of Doug's comfort level. I am going to tomorrow evening with a group of people I have never met to a vegan restaurant in N.E. Portland. Doug doesn't want to go so I had planned to go alone but I think you might have fun. It's a Dining Out Meet up. Here are the details you have to sign up before 3:00pm tomorrow or call me and I will add you as my guest. I don't have a regular email address for you so I hope you read this comment. If you don't have my cell phone number call Doug for it.

For more details, see the full listing:http://socialnetwork.meetup.com/380/calendar/8481502/

You can RSVP up until tomorrow at 3p.m. Sorry for the confusion!

When: August 7, 2008 6:00 PM

Where: Bye and Bye
1011 NE Alberta St
Portland, OR 97211
503-281-0537

RSVP limit: 12 "Yes" RSVPs

If the changes affect your plans to attend, please take a moment to update your RSVP. (You can RSVP "No" or "Yes".)

You can always get in touch with me through the "Contact Organizer" link on Meetup: http://socialnetwork.meetup.com/380/suggestion/

Dale Bliss said...

A Vegan restaurant? On the pages of this blog I have sung the praises of bacon, Mongolian barbeque and chicken fried steak. If I enter the doors of a Vegan restaurant the place may spontaneously combust. But it could make for some good copy, so I'll go. It's the craziest idea I've ever heard, so how can I possibly refuse?

By the way, my email address is published on the blog, dnewton005@yahoo.com, which is why I get daily announcements that I have just won the English and Irish lotteries without ever having bought a ticket. All I have to do to claim my prize is send them my name, social security number, address and bank account number and they'll wire me my surprise. I would have replied but I hate filling out forms. The Dining Out Meet Up people won't require me to fill out any forms, will they? This reminds me of that old joke, "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Will they talk about PAC-10 football?

Stay tuned folks, this could be a real fish out of water story.

Dale

Gretchen said...

I found your email address obviously. Hey this may just might be a fun adventure. I am writing this as I sit chewing on turkey jerky (I need to get my meat in for the day before the vegan restaurant.

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.