Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Lost Weekend

The worst miseries are the ones you bring upon yourself, repeating the same behaviors and expecting things to change. Other than fast food counter workers and grocery clerks, and a brief exchange in the hallway with Richard, I didn't speak to another living soul all day. I stuffed my pie hole and played poker. That was it. This afternoon Stephanie sent a text: she and the kids were too tired from school shopping at the outlet mall and they wouldn't be able to make dinner. "We wouldn't be good company. Can we do it the next time we come down?" I understood, but it left me sinking deeper into the morass of self absorption and aimlessness. All day long I watched two running dueces fall, straight draws and flush draws and overcards falling into place like clockwork, dwindling stacks and frustration. It wasn't my day, and I started playing tilty and frustrated and made it worse. Altogether I lost about $25, not a lot of money, but what I regret most is the wasted time. I spent a day of my life in sloth and decadence and aimlessness. I hardly saw the light of day, except walking up to the McDonalds for a greasy bad breakfast. What a fool.

Just now Marie called, sad and reflective. She heard a song on the radio that reminded her of our situation and she wanted to talk. T-mobile dropped the call. Many of my calls fail or drop, and nearly all of the crucial ones. It's contributed mightily to the sorrow and frustration between us--even when we muster the courage to try to talk things over, we're tormented by an unreliable phone connection. It's so ridiculous and frustrating and sad. Just now I tried again. "No network." I'm in the middle of Portland, for goodness sakes.

Things don't work for me. Saturday morning I went to the U.S. bank atm to get some cash to pay a bill, and the machine in the lobby was malfunctioning and didn't dispense any funds. The screen said, "unable to complete transaction" so I went outside to use the one at the drive up window, got my $200 and left. When I checked my bank account today the bank had in fact charged me for two withdrawals. I sent a frantic email from the website. Please, you've got to help me. The atm didn't give me any money. In a just world I should get double my money back and a new phone, but I'm not holding my breath. Then just a half hour or so later I was checking in at the gym and found out they are charging me for duplicate memberships. I have two open accounts, including one I thought expired several years ago. Bally's records show it as 3 years past due, something like $390 of charges. The assistant manager assured me she would get it all straightened out on Monday.

I'm off tomorrow. Good thing, because I'll have a whole day to deal with the bank, the cell phone company and the gym. Every day I have people scream at me because there was a bag of trash that stuck to their can, and I have a phone that doesn't receive phone calls, an atm machine that debits my account but doesn't dispense money, and a gym that double charges me for my membership. I'm lost in this world. Tonight I feel like I don't fit in anywhere, don't belong to anyone, and my life has no worth. I know that is thoroughly irrational, but that's the space I'm in. All we want to do is talk a while. Why in the world won't they fix it? The first two times I asked nicely. Maybe I should have screamed and made it personal.

At the grocery store on Sunday night the lonely people do their shopping. I saw the carts full of tv dinners and diet soda, the young couple with the screaming child. Two harried clerks with six people each in their line. I rented "Charlie Wilson's War" from the Red Box machine. I'll watch it on my computer, and just try to escape for a while.

I'm sorry this is so mournful. I miss my wife and the grandbabies. I did all of this to myself. We sow what we reap, indeed.

6 comments:

Gretchen said...

Last night would have been a good night for you to come and watch the Olympics with us.

Gretchen said...

I also have T-Mobile and my dropped calls had been increasing. They put in a the CIM card that was just a few days ago but it seems to have helped.

Dale Bliss said...

Gretchen,

It WOULD have been a good night to watch the Olympics with the Mortensens, but I don't recall being INVITED. (Hee hee.) T-immobile is the gift that keeps on taking. I've had a miserable ongoing customer experience with them. Today I stopped by to ask about a new phone. The phone is FREE, but I have to sign a new 2-year contract, and there is an $18 "upgrade fee". But the phone is FREE. Almost. I'd switch, but there is the $200-per-line early termination charge, and the other companies are probably just as bad.

Gretchen said...

You are always invited to our home we have an open door policy for friends and family.

I need to know did you figure out the problem with the band and the ATM and your gym membership.

I too was dealing with T-Mobile today both on the phone and at the store (because the lady on the phone messed up so badly). The man at the store fixed the problem very quickly and nicely. I have gotten "free" phones so many times I think I have about a 10 year contract by now so I am really stuck.

Anonymous said...

Dad--

I'm a little behind on blog reading with the vacation and am just now getting caught up. I really am sorry about dinner. Ethan had been shopping all day, and like a true boy he wasn't in good spirits by the end of the day. And as you know that is rare for him. Kourt had spent so much of my money I felt as if I was bankrupt (twice her clothing limit!!!). I actually ended up taking a nap with Ethan at Mom's that was about 2 hours long. I hope that you can forgive us and I really am looking forward to Chang
s next time we are in town.

Me

Dale Bliss said...

Steff--

totally okay about dinner. Ethan had already put up with a lot being dragged out all day for a day of girl shopping. A man can only take so much. We'll do it again another time soon. Glad you had a good time and got home safely. Save me a shoe box, and tell Kourtney to do her homework and have fun at recess. I'll try to come up again sometime this fall, maybe the weekend the Ducks play the Cougs at Pullman. Maybe Thomas would go with me, but he can't route for the Cougs.

Take care.

Love, Dad

Gretchen--

Thanks for the standing invite and the genuine empathy--you should be vice president of the bank. Bally's straightened out the mixup with no problem and they were very nice about it.

I will have to come over soon. I need Doug to adjust my bicycle seat. I am sure he would say it's too low. I could use a good bottle of wine and two hours of PAC-10 football talk.

Say hi to Victoria and Dmitri. How's his back?

--Dale

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.