Thursday, August 7, 2008

Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant

The Bye and Bye at 10th and Alberta serves "vegetarian pub food" and I had a pale ale and a bowl of brussel sprouts with brown rice and chunks of braised tofu in a hot sauce. The hot sauce would have been good on chicken or a nice juicy steak, but it wasn't bad on tofu. The restaurant featured a nice patio secluded behind a tall wood fence with lattice work and vines. It was a young hipster crowd. The bartenders had those full color tatoos that covered their arms. The girls wore capris or linen pants. I saw two young men greet each other with a kiss on the lips. Gretchen and I sat with Tamara, a real estate agent who likes to travel, and William, who buys and sells apartment buildings. Tamara talked about her trip to Laos. She met a young Buddhist monk in the city, a boy of 17 named Jit, and she traveled with him by boat up the Mekong River to his village in the remotest part of the country, where she spent several days working and eating and bathing with the native people. William had traveled also, backpacking through Europe, and Gretchen talked about the experience of adopting 3 children from the former Soviet Union. They asked me what I did for a living, you know, "what do you do?" the question I hate at parties, because it is such a conversational dead end. "I'll tell you," I said, "if you promise not to talk shop." Usually when I tell people I work for the garbage company they want to tell me their garbage horror stories, or wax rhapsodic about the drivers and how hard they work. I'd rather talk Pac-10 football and eat hummus and chips with Doug.

William had a thing at 8 so he excused myself, and I jumped to my feet and shook hands with everyone and left. I wanted to go home. It was extraordinaly nice of Gretchen to invite me, but I was way out of my element. I remember a line from Hannah and Her Sisters, "It was the worst night ever, the worst time since the Nuremberg Trials. We did everything but exchange gun shots." This was no where near that bad, but it wasn't anything I'd do again. Modern life has all these artificial ways to meet people and "network." I'd rather exchange gunshots than "network."

Before I went to the dinner I stopped at Colwood golf course and chipped and putted and pitched for a few minutes. I holed out another chip, with the pro watching from the clubhouse. It always cheers me up when I hole out a chip. It reminds me that while anything is not possible, a great deal still is.

Tomorrow night I serve beer and soda at The Ross Coleman Invitational. Everybody likes the bartender and the pizza delivery guy. I'd have to say that these were my two all-time favorite jobs. When some little old lady starts snarling at me about her trash can, or I get another memo about excessive bathroom breaks, they start to look pretty good. If I ever get out of debt, I'm going to downsize my employment and play more bad golf.

After brussel sprouts and brown rice I have an incredible craving for a nice ice cream bar with a thick dark chocolate coating on the outside. I think I'll walk over to Winco after the poker game, if I don't fall asleep in my new thinking chair. You know you're getting old, when thinking always gives way to sleep. Good night now.

7 comments:

Gretchen said...

Dear Dale,

I am very sorry you didn't have a nice time at dinner. I could tell you were not enjoying yourself, it didn't go unnoticed by me that the second someone else left you also made a quick get away. I actually had a very nice time and will go again. This was my second ever "Dining Meet-up" and it was two completely different types of restaurants and people. The last time after dinner some were going dancing which I didn't do. I really think you should give it one more try at a different type of place. Are are very friendly and people like you so you are reminding me of Doug don't wanting to do something so new and adventuresome. The rest of us stayed for about another 30 minutes. Of all the people there Tamara was the most interesting but after you left we joined the other table and Kat was fun too.

Gretchen said...

Why do you call it "The Homesick Restaurant"? I don't understand.

Dale Bliss said...

Gretchen, I had a perfectly okay time at the dinner, and it WAS very kind of you to invite me. It just isn't the sort of situation I excel in, that's all. Give me credit for showing up. 80% of life is showing up. Besides, I engaged everyone in conversation and listened actively; it's not like I was a total stick in the mud. And I won $45 playing poker.

Dale Bliss said...

The "Homesick Restaurant" is a vague movie reference. Or maybe it was just a play. I was trying to be clever.

Dale Bliss said...

Google: Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant, a novel by Anne Tyler, 1982, the author of The Accidental Tourist, Set in Baltimore, Maryland, in the 1960s.

Anonymous said...

My hubby and I were bickering the other night, and I fell asleep waiting for him to answer me...apparently I'm getting old too ;-)
You really need to get on Myspace so you can read MY blog! I have lots going on in my life!!

Dale Bliss said...

Arlene, I would love to visit your blog and provide a link to it. Next time you stop in please leave a link, and explain how to get to it. I am technologically impaired, so you will have to explain it to me like I'm an 80-year-old man.

This is the Way the Transformation Begins


"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw, Robert F. Kennedy


This is the way the transformation begins.
It begins in me.
It begins now.
It begins with small incremental changes and shifts in attitude
it begins with positive action
failing forward
and suddenly I start looking at the world and my place in it in a new way. I speak differently and dress differently and project a different energy, and the world opens up like a glorious pink azalea bush, eight feet tall and blooming like mad.


photo by Kajo123 from the website flickr.com

Good morning!

An engineer builds a bridge and every bolt and weld has to be exactly right; every measure has to be perfect, or the bridge collapses or fails to take its place. Fantastically detailed blueprints have to be laid out. Impact statements have to be filed, sediment has to be studied, years of effort, months of planning, and a man-made marvel rises in the sky. Park somewhere and take a good look at a bridge, and think of all the skill and knowledge and hard honest work it took to create it. Consider how a few thousand years ago we were living in caves.

It is not so with a dream. Some people are remarkable dreamers and dreams spring whole from them, or they can leap up from bed and pages of creative genius flow out of their pen, intricate and perfect. Most of us though are baby dreamers, new at it and tentative to the trust the power of what we wish for.

Start the dream! Whether you want to go to nursing school or college or learn to play the guitar, take a first step, now, even in the wrong direction. Don't wait for the blueprint to come to you, the environmental impact statement, the permits and the 200-page budget and legislative dream approval. Rough it out, sketch it on a napkin, tell a friend, and take action. Your dream begins the moment you step out in first moment of believing, and the result can touch a thousand souls. Listen to Jim Valvano: never give up, never surrender. Believe in the audacity of action and your fantastic potential for change and new opportunity.

The Hawthorne Bridge at sunrise, Portland Oregon. Photo by Joe Collver, from flickr.com
Genuine happiness and success start with an attitude of abundance

Make it a daily practice to begin your day with five minutes of thankfulness. You can even do it in your car on the way to work. Do it in your own way, whether it's thoughtful reflection or a prayer or singing out loud, but focus on your rich, amazing, abundant life.

Feeling grumpy or resentful or worried instead of thankful? Change direction! Consider the incredible gifts you have--mind, body, spirit, senses, your family, your friends, your clothes, your car, and the breakfast you enjoyed this morning. By the standards of 99% of the world, Americans are incredibly, amazingly rich. You truly have no idea how richly blessed you are until you start thinking about it. Even the heart that beats within you and the lungs that breathe your air are an intricate and amazing miracle.

Some of my favorite movies are ones that feature a once-defeated character waking up to an absolutely new day: "It's A Wonderful Life," the various versions of Dicken's "Christmas Carol" and "Groundhog Day." How exhilarating it is for George Bailey to wake up and realize his life isn't over, it's just beginning, and that today truly is a brand new day.


"It's a Wonderful Life"

"It's a Wonderful Life"
George returns home to everything he ever wanted.